FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya 8.5 to After Effects!?!?!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
timmons64
Maya 8.5 to After Effects!?!?!
on Apr 22, 2007 at 12:29:01 am

Hey yall,
I'm basically trying to render from maya and retain the camera data for AE. I know you are supposed to use the .rla format but when i bring it into AE and go to animation>keyframe assistant>rpf camera import (as it says to do in the AE help) it tells me there is no camera data in the sequence. Is there a setting in maya render options that needs to be set? Is there and easier way to do this? Is there a way to render rpf files from maya?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tim
Edit/Delete Message

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Maya 8.5 to After Effects!?!?!
on Apr 30, 2007 at 4:18:57 am

If you want the camera data to go from Maya to AE you probably don't want to mess with the rpf format. I've never tried rpf between maya and AE and don't know what sort of limitation there is on using it (the z-depth probably works since that's what a lot of users have used it for in the past, I think ... ).

What you probably want is to save your scene as a .ma and import it into after effects. There are steps to do in maya before you save as a ma file of course, for a complete list of those type maya into your after effects help and it will give you some good info. There are also a lot of threads in this forum so do a good search in here too. If this forum supported sticky threads this would be a good one to have up as the question comes up a lot.

I tested the integration recently between AE 7 and Maya 8.5 and it worked quite well.

From memory you want to name your locators in Maya with NULL_ at the beginning, delete most of your scene except for your camera and locators (this will make it load much quicker into AE and may prevent errors), make sure the camera is set to horizontal or vertical (not fill which is its default!), you change this in the camera's attribute editor window, bake your camera data (it has to be a regular Maya camera btw, not a camera_aim or camera_aim_up), save Maya scene as a .ma file and import into AE. Then in your regular Maya scene render out the image sequence and import that into AE and you should be rock'n and roll'n.

There are a couple of weird issues once you have your camera data in AE but they're not really issues, just quirks. Such as your opacity for the null will automatically be at 0 so when you replace it with a piece of after effects footage, you won't be able to see it because it's completely transparent - a simple opacity change fixes it of course. Also, it will be HUGE, so you'll have to scale it down to 10-15% or even lower depending on your usage.

Hopefully I didn't miss a step in there. The camera's horizontal film setting is what got me a lot, I don't believe I ever changed it and always seem to have a bit of drifting when I tried the integration. It seemed to be one of those tidbits that went undocumented for a while, or at least unnoticed by myself. :-)

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Pyro
That Scaling issue
by
on Jun 18, 2007 at 10:02:02 pm

This thread may be old, but does anyone know a workaround for that scaling issue upon .MA import where the Replaced Nulls are 1-3%? Sometimes positioning clips is tremendously difficult due to the lack of more detail when scaling and moving those objects.

I've been trying to search this issue out for the past hour.

Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: That Scaling issue
on Jun 19, 2007 at 12:02:09 am

If you mean the scaling issue having to scale down your objects when they're replacing the nulls, I don't know of one. I've always had to scale down the objects. If you hear of a solution let me know. :-)

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]