FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hand Tracking

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
Hand Tracking
on Apr 13, 2007 at 4:17:55 am

Any ideas/techniques/tutorials out there on hand tracking in Maya? Or plain hand tracking in general? I barely know where to start. Greenscreen footage with no markers or the least bit of contrast. Not looking forward to it.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Hand Tracking
on Apr 14, 2007 at 1:11:32 am

http://www.amazon.com/Matchmoving-Invisible-Art-Camera-Tracking/dp/07821440...

this book above does a really good job of explaining it. Worth a buy.
-Chad

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Apr 14, 2007 at 3:02:58 pm

I read that last week! Funny you should bring it up. Thing is, it doesn't really go into hand-tracking, unless I accidentally skipped a chapter.

Here's how I'm thinking of going about it. Tell me if I'm missing something crucial or if I'm lining myself up for serious frustration and disappointment. Well, the frustration is probably innevitable. In any case...

It's a simple dolly left across a room, following a guy, walking, wide shot. I built the room inside Maya. The greenscreen behind the guy has a faint marker. Too faint to track, even with image manipulation. Luckily, the marker is at the right depth for the back wall.

So I'll skip the matchmoving software altogether. I'll load the image sequence inside Maya, spend an eternity getting the right focal attributes, line up the faint marker to a vertex, and frame-by frame it.

Question is this: Is there a widely used technique out there I haven't yet come accross? The kind that would make the process mention above seem ludicrous and suicidally complicated. The kind that seems so obvious it makes you feel like a complete idiot for not having thought of it. That's the technique I'm looking for.

S.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Apr 14, 2007 at 4:28:45 pm

I could have swore there was a section in (the book) there where he lines up a bldg on a street by hand, and shows you how to use locators to adjust the camera to match everything up.
At any rate, if all you have is one lousy marker to track with, and absoultely nothing else in the frame, yeah, your gonna be doing a lot of playblasting :) one thing you might consider is just keyeing the subject out (since it's on GS), and putting your keyed talent on a poly/nurbs plane inside maya. Line the edges of the plane up with the resolution gate of the camera and you can do playblast and renders to see if you have the motion right.
If you can upload a clip maybe one of us can take a look at it and give some pointers.
-Chad

Return to posts index

blobtilton
on May 8, 2007 at 5:11:32 pm

I've done a little bit of what i think you are doing with, I think, an acceptable amount of success. What I did was:

1. render the footage out as sequential iff's
2. map them onto a plane in maya
3. make some locators on the ground plane that each footstep of the person can correspond to (you'll havet o change the position of these as you do the next step
4. keyframe the position on the mapped plane at each footstep to stay locked with your locators (and then more and more in between the steps) until he/she doesn't slide anymore

Then you can pull your key and rerender your sequence with the alpha to include in your maya scene, if that's how you're going to render/composite.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]