FORUMS: list search recent posts

image plane perspective matching?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Rank
image plane perspective matching?
on Apr 9, 2007 at 5:28:45 am

I have an image plane of an elevator shaft shot from the bottom pointed up and at an angle. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get a 3D elevator model to slide down the shaft and keep the right perspective. Can anyone shed some light on the correct procedure of how to match perspectives?

Thanks a million...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: image plane perspective matching?
on Apr 9, 2007 at 1:56:33 pm

I would start by placing a tall poly cube in the position of the shaft itself. If you don't have details about camera position and orientation, and the scale of the scene recorded, then it's just a question of eyeballing it.

Once you have a shaft in position, it should be easy enough to use it as a guide for the elevator object.

Also, note that if the camera used a lens that introduces spherical distortion (straight lines become curved as they move towards the edges of the frame) you won't be able to match it well with your CG scene--CG perspective works in a different way.

If you want more detailed advice, post a link to your image plane.

-Steve

Return to posts index

davidheijl
Re: image plane perspective matching?
on Apr 19, 2007 at 9:39:51 am

Try out Steve's advice: it's worked for me in the past. Try to block in some shapes, like the shaft as a polycube, perhaps some horizontal shapes as well (piping, door, whatever) and try to make everything fit by tweaking, tweaking, tweaking.
Make sure you have the camera settings as close to the live action camera as well, though this is something I'm not an expert in and as Steve said rightly, CG cameras just can't match some distortions introduced by real word lenses.

david
http://www.burnt.be

------------------------------
Consider Phlebas, who was once
handsome and tall as you
------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]