FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a Maya 8 mb file out of a Maya 8.5 mb file

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark DeRidder
Making a Maya 8 mb file out of a Maya 8.5 mb file
on Mar 27, 2007 at 2:16:19 pm

So I've got a comon problem that I haven't found a comon solution for. Forgive me if this has already been covered, but it's hard to search for an answer to this.

I have a file that was saved in Maya 8.5 and I have a client that has Maya 8. Thefore I need to make this file open in Maya 8.

Any ideas?

btw, I tried to save it as a ma file, and it won't let me. Odd.

Thanks!
-Mark

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Making a Maya 8 mb file out of a Maya 8.5 mb file
on Mar 27, 2007 at 6:29:13 pm

You should be able to save it as a .ma file, and that's the first step in the solution. What do you mean 'it won't let me'? Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

If you do manage to save it as an ascii, just open it up in a text editor and look at the first dozen lines. In a few places it will say 'Maya 8.5' and you can just change that back to '8.0'.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Mark DeRidder
on Mar 28, 2007 at 2:13:17 pm

When I try to save out as a .ma file I get this message:

"File contains unknown nodes or data. To preserve this information, the current file type cannot be changed."

Now this is a file that was created at another studio (in France), and I have altered it and saved it as a Maya 8.5 file.

Thanks for your help!
-Mark

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 29, 2007 at 3:41:58 am

Hmmm, I haven't come across that. It may be that in 8.5 they are actively trying to discourage reverse compatibility--which would be incredibly annoying, if true.

What I would do if I were you is to try to find some way to override that problem. Maybe there's an option in the prefs that says 'allow file type conversion even with unknown nodes,' or some such.

The next thing to do would be to look into a MEL solution: sometimes you can manage things with MEL commands that you can't accomplish in any way with the UI.

Of course, your best bet might actually be to consult with Autodesk first.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

mauriziomwg
on Apr 15, 2007 at 2:04:25 am

hello,
i have the same problem,
and actually this post was usefull for me.
i had the same problem with the message about unknow nodes ...
i tried to export the binary file made in 8.5 to a new .mb (binary file selecting all the geometry i need and doing then export selected.
then with this new .mb file i was able to save it to a .ma file without error message and finally works in maya 8 modifing the file in wordpad.
probably is not the best way, but it lets you save the file and open it in maya 8.0.
and not sure it works always,
it worked with my file.
hope to be useful
best
maurizio

Return to posts index

teksurgical
on Apr 15, 2007 at 9:28:15 pm

this post helped me a lot with this exact problem...

http://www.highend3d.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=221828

I just got an 8-Core mac pro, and could not reload this scene that was created in 8.0 once I saved it in Maya 8.5. The code worked, and now I can save it as .mb or .ma and reopen it without problems. It messed up the UVs of one of my objects in the scene, thats all.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]