FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hand-drawn textures

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
davidheijl
Hand-drawn textures
on Mar 15, 2007 at 9:44:42 am

Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing a little personal animation project with hand-drawn textures. I know I once read something on this in one of the maya secrets of the pros books, but I don't own that one - just skipped through it at a friend's. Does anyone have any tips, pointers or references on how best to approach texturing & rendering on this?

very broad question, i know, but I'm trying to find some more ref before i dive into texturing here...

david
http://www.burnt.be

------------------------------
Consider Phlebas, who was once
handsome and tall as you

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Hand-drawn textures
on Mar 18, 2007 at 11:54:04 pm

When you say 'hand-drawn,' you mean on paper, then scanned?

My only suggestion would be to look into applying the textures partially to the Incandescence channel as well as the Color channel. Otherwise they may end up seeming too muddy when not brightly lit.

-Steve

Return to posts index

davidheijl
on Mar 19, 2007 at 9:05:37 am

Steve,

Thanks for the tip!

I'm actually still debating with myself whether I'll draw my textures with inks or in photoshop. I think real paper-based hand-drawn would be nicest, but also the most difficult from a practical perspective.

Let me run through what I'd have to do (so hopefully you can add or correct where I missed something):
- I'd have to do the UV unwrap first,
- print the snapshot
- draw on top of that using tracing paper or the like.
- then scan the drawn textures
- apply this, as you said, to both color & incandescence.

I'm thinking of trying Roadkill for the unwrap of my (fairly simple and low-rez) creature models, because I so hate working on UV's manually. Anyone any experience on this front?

cheers,

david
http://www.burnt.be

Consider Phlebas, who was once
handsome and tall as you

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 20, 2007 at 3:34:54 pm

Hi, David. Sounds like you've got it all planned out. One thing to consider, if you hate working with UVs, is the possibility of drawing your textures directly on the objects. You can do so using Maya's Paint Effects feature, or with several third-party apps. You still need UVs, but you can generate them automatically and don't have to worry about the configuration so much, since as you draw or paint past a seam the texture automatically picks up on the change in the appropriate area.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with any pelting software myself, so I can't offer advice on that front.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]