FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interactivity with a rendered Maya scene?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ikari1222
Interactivity with a rendered Maya scene?
on Mar 13, 2007 at 12:05:17 pm

I'll try to explain my question as best I can. My company wants to go for a job that will allow the client to have some control over what would be a scene that I would animate and have rendered out in Maya. Is there a program that will allow one to do this. They want control to change a view (they're looking for 3 different views of each scene), in scene. I've done some research on the web to see if an application exists that allows interactivity with a rendered Maya scene, but there is usually a vague explanation as to what the program actually does.

This sounds to us like there would have to be some programming involved, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Interactivity with a rendered Maya scene?
on Mar 14, 2007 at 1:19:22 am

Something like Anark would probably be your best bet:
http://www.anark.com/products/anark-studio/default.html

If you just want to do a panoramic type camera, you might be able to do it with a Quicktime based panorama.

-chad

Return to posts index

ikari1222
on Mar 14, 2007 at 12:40:11 pm

I sort of have a better idea about what we're looking for. Is there a Viewer that would allow me to "drop" a Maya rendered scene into it, and that viewer would have controls such as: start, stop, pan up and down, and a 360 degree view? Basically it would just give someone the ability to navigate through the scene in the viwer.

I hope that is a better explanation of what it is we're looking for. I've mostly just built scenes in Maya, rendered them, and converted to AVIs. I've never worked with bringing a scene into another application. So I'm pretty bad with any terminology in this case.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 15, 2007 at 12:34:28 am

When you say 'a Maya rendered scene', what exactly do you mean?

A Maya scene is a Maya scene, readable almost exclusively by Maya itself. When you render Maya scenes, you produce images or movies which are in all respects normal images or movies, no different than photos or clips recorded with your digital camera. So any application into which you could 'drop a Maya rendered scene' would be any application into which you could drop a series of JPGs or an AVI or whatever.

However, it sounds like you might be more interested in exporting a Maya scene as a level for 'playback' in a game engine; Maya is used for many game-development pipelines, so this is definitely possible, but don't have any experience with it myself.

Hope someone else can pick up where I've left off.

-Steve

Return to posts index

ikari1222
on Mar 15, 2007 at 7:59:21 pm

Looks like I'm a little off again. I guess the scene wouldn't be rendered, it would be placing the .mb scene into a 3rd party viewer. There would probably be issues with the textures, but that would be something to work out.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 19, 2007 at 12:00:05 am

Well, one option would be to use Maya itself. With high quality rendering mode active, the scene will look as good as it would in any 3rd-party application, and the Fly tool lets you navigate easily. Easy enough to create a couple of hotkeys to change views and so on. It depends what kind of scene you're talking about, and what level of interactivity you want. Probably exporting a game level and using a game engine will be your best bet. Unfortunately I don't have experience with this workflow myself, so I can't suggest any likely candidates.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Apr 1, 2007 at 5:27:00 am

Two shots in the dark from me. Acrobat 3D probably does something like this but I'm not sure how much of a headache it would be getting it converted into something acrobat 3D likes. I know it's more for a CAD audience but it may do the same things you want it to.

The other idea is to build an interactive flash scene from the 3D scene so they can play with it themselves.

Or you could have them come in and stand over your shoulder. :-)

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]