FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya 5.0

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Onna_no_hito
Maya 5.0
on Jan 18, 2007 at 2:31:33 pm

Ciao a tutti!

I have had Maya 5.0 on my computer for quite a while but have been sidetracked with Shake and After Effects projects so until now, I haven't given it too much thought (I felt comfort enough that it would be there when I needed it). Well now I am ready, but with change in companies and newer versions out, I am just curious about Maya 5.0s relevance, if anyone still uses it, if the learning curve from 5.0 to 8.0 is...well you know what I am getting at.

Ray Caesar is my inspiration: http://www.raycaesar.com/pages/GalleryIndex.html
All of his amazing artwork is done using computers and 3D. I want to learn to create worlds like he does, but then unlike a still picture, I want to skip around in them and explore and animate.

I sincerely appreciate any advice and words of wisdom!
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Onna

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Maya 5.0
on Jan 18, 2007 at 6:45:05 pm

In my opinion, recent versions of Maya have fleshed out its weak areas, without changing the package fundamentally. With the Autodesk acquisition, this MAY change, but so far I don't think it has.

Basically, you could spend years learning everything about Maya 5, and 99% of it would remain perfectly relevant. Later packages add plenty of new things to learn, but they don't make much of the earlier stuff obsolete.

I went from Maya 4 to Maya 7 and the biggest change for me was the inclusion of the Mental Ray renderer. Other than that the skills all translated over nicely.

Of course it depends on what type of work you do etc... hopefully others will weigh in with their own experiences.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Onna_no_hito
Re: Maya 5.0
on Jan 20, 2007 at 12:28:33 pm

Dear Steve,

Thanks so much for your input! I feel that much better about diving into it, which I've already since begun! I'm sure you will be hearing more questions from me in the future. Stop me if I start to drive you too crazy!

All the best,
Cheers,
Onna

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]