FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I achieve this effect?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chordinator
How can I achieve this effect?
on Jan 11, 2007 at 7:29:03 pm

Hey all,

What may be the best way to animate a map rolling out, going from completely rolled up, to flat on a surface?

This "map" can be a flat square of nurbs, poly or whatever with just texturing applied to it.

This should simulate some kind of canvas or parchment material rolling out dynamically as it comes to a rest flattened out. So, for example, animating a single bend deformer isn't really the look I am going for.

I tried playing around with cloth. I modeled a rolled up surface and tried to get the simulation to unravel itself. However Im inexperienced with maya's cloth and it kept puncturing through itself pretty heavily.

By the way, this is my first post here and these forums have been very helpful to me already. Thanks in advance for the help!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: How can I achieve this effect?
on Jan 13, 2007 at 6:27:23 pm

Bend deformers will work, but you have to get a little creative with them.

Create a NURBS plane with lots of spans in the direction you want to roll. Now create a bend deformer with the following settings: Low Bound 0, High Bound 2, Curvature 8. Align it so that it's bending the plane in the proper direction. Now to produce the rolling/unrolling effect, you aren't going to animate the Curvature attribute; instead, you're going to simply MOVE the bend deformer left and right across the object.

You will probably get some clipping effects with this method (i.e. the paper will penetrate through itself as it rolls). In order to avoid this, you can add a second bend deformer which is identical except for Curvature--make the Curvature 0.05 or so. This will curl the plane just that little extra bit necessary to curl it into a spiral instead of a cylinder which self-penetrates.

Note that by changing the curvature of the first bend deformer you can produce a tighter or looser spiral; you could animate this (from tight to wide) for a realistic unrolling effect.

Hope that helps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Chordinator
on Jan 14, 2007 at 2:55:20 am

Thanks for the response Steve!

While I was originally thinking of a dynamic animation for this, after you suggested bend deformers it made me realize that they will be sufficient for the shot.

The problem I have now is with the surface overlapping on itself into a cylinder. When I add an identical bend deformer as you suggested with a small curvature, instead of spiraling inward, it deforms the curve into different shapes.

I tried playing with a lot of setting combinations and I tried translating the two bend deformers together from the same location, from different locations, individually and so on. Changing the deformation orders didn't produce that result either.

Did I miss something?

Thanks again!
Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jan 16, 2007 at 7:27:43 am

Hmm, are you sure you had the shallow bend deformer oriented the right way? They should both be curling in the same direction. They should also overlap each other, and you should translate them together--you can group them and move the group to make it automatic.

I'm checking my test scene again. Deformer order does matter; you can adjust either by changing deformation order or by swapping the curvature values of both bend nodes. The node with the slight curvature should be first (i.e. closer to the bottom of the inputs list if you click on 'show all inputs').

Beyond that it seems to work fine for me. What size plane are you using? Mine is 30 units long, length ratio 1, 20 patches in the direction of the curl. Low bound zero and high bound two for both bend nodes.

If you still have problems, let me know and I can email you my scene or have you email me yours.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Chordinator
on Jan 20, 2007 at 6:51:18 am

Thanks Steve, it took me a while to post back since I was completely swamped finishing this project.

Anyway, my problem was in fact the order of deformation. They worked just as you described, the bend deformers gave me a lot of control and I wound up with 5 of them applied to my surface for additional curling etc.

Well, thanks again. Have a good one!

Chris

Return to posts index

Jose Herrera
on Feb 23, 2010 at 8:39:04 pm

Hi, I've been trying to achive this effect too, but after a week of tryouts finally I gave up, is it posible for any of you send me your maya scene, I'll appreciate that, thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]