FORUMS: list search recent posts

saving a shelf that will move around.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jameson Schultz
saving a shelf that will move around.
on Jan 9, 2007 at 6:58:03 pm

Hey all,
I am looking to create a shelf that I can save to a flash drive and move around from computer to computer at school. Can anyone pass along some guidence on creating a MEL file that will load a new shelf with other MELs and actions inside of it. Much appreciated.

Jameson

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: saving a shelf that will move around.
on Jan 9, 2007 at 7:57:49 pm

I think that shelves can be moved easily. Your Maya directory should have a 'shelves' folder (for me, on a PC, it's ../maya/7.0/prefs/shelves) containing all shelves as nice neat self-contained .mel files. You should be able to copy those, carry them around, and drop them into any other Maya install you work with, I think.

Note that if the shelf buttons call other scripts, those will also have to be copied from your scripts directory (and placed in the appropriate place on the destination machine), as the shelf file only contains the command pointing to the script and not the script itself. I imagine it might be possible to include the script in the shelf file itself as a procedure, but I wouldn't mess with it, personally--I'd just collect all the separate files.

Does that help?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jameson Schultz
Re: saving a shelf that will move around.
on Jan 10, 2007 at 1:31:55 am

Thanks Steve, that helps clarify some things. Sounds like I need to write a windows script or apple script that will copy the MEL files I need and shelf to the proper directories before opening Maya.

I doubt there's any simple way to change where plug-in and shelfs are located with a MEL file. That sounds like messing with Maya environment and preference files. ewww

Jameson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]