FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stained Glass Effect?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
accpph
Stained Glass Effect?
on Dec 18, 2006 at 4:01:03 am

I am trying to use MAYA raytraced lights to go through a peice of geometry that is mapped with a stained glass window pattern. The stain glass file is connected to the color/ambient and transparency channels.

The shadow takes on the patterns' shapes but only as a black and white image. How can i get the shadows to pick up the color of the stained glass?

I tried it with Global Illumination and Caustics in mental ray but still only get a black and white pattern in the shadow. What am I missing???

Please help

ACC

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Stained Glass Effect?
on Dec 18, 2006 at 6:34:30 am

To start: are you sure you're using raytraced shadows, not depth-mapped ones?

-Steve

Return to posts index

accpph
on Dec 18, 2006 at 11:47:02 pm

Yes, I am using raytraced shadows. D-map shadows will not, to the best of my knowledge, pick up maps on the transparency channel. It will just render a full opaque shadow the size and shape of the object at the angle at which it occludes. I am getting the pattern, just not any of the color data.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:13:41 pm

Have you mapped your colour information to the transparency channel of your shader, or just to the color channel?

A coloured shader with grey transparency will still cast a plain gray shadow. You need to map colour information to transparency to get coloured shadows.

Hope that's it!

-Steve

Return to posts index

accpph
on Dec 20, 2006 at 4:42:59 am

Hmmm....

Interesting. I had just been middle mousing the colored map file onto the transparency channel. How do I ensure I am taking the color data as well?

AC

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Dec 20, 2006 at 3:46:47 pm

If you've been making the connection explicitly from the colour output of your texture to the transparency channel of your material, that should be doing it. A quick test scene has that work for me with a transparent plane, an opaque plane, a ramp texture, and a spotlight with raytraced shadows.

What kind of light are you using?

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]