FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya or 3d studio max

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
red ochre
Maya or 3d studio max
on Dec 15, 2006 at 3:08:14 am

Hello,

I'm getting some paid 3d animation training and I know next to nothing about the programs out there. I was hoping someone could give me list of (what they see) as the pros and cons of Maya and 3d Studio Max. I know I'm going to have to focus on one but which one?

Thank you

Return to posts index

red ochre
Re: Maya or 3d studio max
on Dec 16, 2006 at 3:12:48 am

bump.

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Dec 16, 2006 at 8:49:15 pm

You might do a search and see what comes up - this is a common topic. Highend3d.com probably has tons of threads devoted to the subject.

As far as my own opinion Maya tends to be better at film / broadcast & character animation whereas 3D Studio tends to be better at game-related projects. There's a lot of bleed over and both of these apps will easily work in entertainment as well as game-related fields (the reason there was so much confusion as to why Autodesk wanted a product so similar to one it had already).

From those I've spoken with 3D studio tends to be a bit easier to pick up but isn't nearly as deep and powerful as Maya. If you're in the entertainment area and are in it for the long haul it'd probably be wise to go Maya. If you're in the gaming industry it's probably wise to lean toward 3D studio. The issue isn't which app is better but which app is more of a standard in the field you're wanting to focus on.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own Velocity. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

red ochre
on Dec 16, 2006 at 9:03:26 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved