FORUMS: list search recent posts

having an object depresss geometery as it rolls on it...

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe
having an object depresss geometery as it rolls on it...
by
on Dec 12, 2006 at 6:03:09 pm

Firstly let me say I am a newb when it comes to maya I have a basic understanding of it. What right now i have a ball on a spiral motion path and so the ball appears to be rolling on plane below the motion path. how can i have the area that the ball is currently rolling on get "pushed down" by the ball as it rolls on it?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: having an object depresss geometery as it rolls on it...
on Dec 14, 2006 at 2:52:12 am

There are many possible solutions.

I can see this being done with a sculpt deformer, with softbodies, and with animated displacement maps. The choice will depend on the details of what you're after.

To start, do you want the surface to spring back after the ball leaves, or stay down?

-Steve

Return to posts index

joe
by
on Dec 19, 2006 at 3:30:49 pm

hhm stay depressed

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Dec 19, 2006 at 4:18:35 pm

So a softbody solution would involve making the surface a softbody, making the particles collide (zero friction zero resilience) with the rolling object, and then just moving it around. If the collision solution introduces too much distortion, instead you can parent a field to the rolling object and have it force the particles straight down.

The displacement map solution would involve creating an animated black-and-white sequence showing the trail growing from the initial dent to the final trough, then applying that as an animated displacement map and syncing it with the object's motion.

Personally, I think the softbody solution is probably less hassle--it stays more flexible, too.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]