FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting animation that has been referenced into the scene

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark DeRidder
Adjusting animation that has been referenced into the scene
on Dec 10, 2006 at 7:04:05 pm

I am just starting to messs with referencing scene files in Maya, and I have a character with animation that I have referenced into another Maya scene but I cannot adjust or move the characters animation.

To get by this, I have the character as a part of a character set and once I have it referenced into the scene, I make a clip f the animation in the trax editor so that I can scale and slide around the animation. this was working well, until I opened the scene up later on and the animation adjustments are back to square one. And whats worse, I cannot access the characters aniamtion anymore... even the trax editor is blank.

What am I doing wrong? There must be a simple way to adjust character animation that has been referenced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Adjusting animation that has been referenced into the scene
on Dec 10, 2006 at 7:57:46 pm

Animation that has been referenced is considered Read Only by maya. there really is no way around this except to disconnect all of the current animation and keyframe new ones. Usually the referencing workflow is create a rig (or object to animate) and reference that source object into a scene and animated the scene. The animation curves are live in the scene and drive a referenced object. This works fine. If you can reorganize your work to follow this model then you'll probably get better results.

Return to posts index

Mark DeRidder
Re: Adjusting animation that has been referenced into the scene
on Dec 10, 2006 at 9:01:34 pm

Thanks Sean for another quick reply! I appreciate the advice... I am trying to animated a crowd of people, so I have some canned animation in the characters I am referencing with the intent to just slip and slide around the clips. Perhaps I need to reference unanimated characters and then apply the clips in the working scenes. However, I have so much work invested in the process already.

I seem to have solved a little bit of my problem in that I figured out that I can "load selected characters" in the list menu so that I can see what clips I do have. Before I couldnt figure out how to display the clips I had in my scene... it was getting very frusterating. Did they change how the trax editor handles this in the latest maya? This seems new to me. I feel all animation with clips should be automatically visable in the trax editor by default.

Anyhow, thanks again, i think I'm good now.

-Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]