FORUMS: list search recent posts

incomplete tut by Mr. Fennell

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
incomplete tut by Mr. Fennell
on Dec 5, 2006 at 3:03:41 pm

I landed on Mr. Fennell's "How to Create a Wet Shader in Maya" tutorial available at highend3d.com. But a large portion of it appears to be missing (about half way down page 1). How frustrating!

Does anyone know where I could find the complete version? It would be very helpful.

Thank you - Serge

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: incomplete tut by Mr. Fennell
on Dec 6, 2006 at 4:59:52 am

really? I wonder if it got corrupted when highend updated its database. I can't even find the tutorial on the site anymore. I don't know if I still have my version of it but I could look. It was kind of a cheap example.

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Dec 6, 2006 at 3:43:50 pm

Hardly cheap. It looks, I dunno, right. Anyway you provided a downloadable shader at the end, I believe. I'll take a look at it. Don't sweat it too much. Thanks for replying.

Serge

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Dec 7, 2006 at 4:32:10 am

send me the link you found it at. I can fill in the blanks of what isn't showing up in that tutorial

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Dec 7, 2006 at 1:21:16 pm

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/rendering_lighting/shaders/186.html

The missing portion, I think, belongs underneath the 3rd image.

To tell you the truth, I was pretty much able to fill in the blanks. But I would love to know how you set your PhongE attributes.

Thanks - S.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Dec 7, 2006 at 8:02:52 pm

I didn't read through the whole tutorial explicity, but are you actually going to Page 2 of the tutorial?

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/rendering_lighting/shaders/186-2.ht...

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Dec 7, 2006 at 9:20:37 pm

Yes. Of course I did. Page 2 starts on "Step 3". What's missing, on page 1, is "Step 2". I'm sure I can fiddle with the Phong settings and come up with something similar to yours. No need to worry about this too much. I appreciate your having replied. I'll see if I can't take it from here. Many thanks - Serge

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Dec 8, 2006 at 1:20:34 am

It's very possible that is the original tutorial but I do seem to be missing the phoneE settings, which I think I put in originally. Anyway what you want from the phongE is a small bright solid highlight with a crisp edge, much like a gooche shader. I think now the shader settings would have been out of date anyway. Originally (pre maya 6.0) you could push the Highlight Size attribute over 1, now for some stupid reason it gets clamped at 1 which makes it difficult to achieve the effect.

So pre maya 6.0:
Roughness: between 0.01 and 0.1
Highlight size: 2.0 to 3.0
Whiteness and spec color: 1.0

Maya 6.0 and later:
Honestly, you'll never get the same look without being able to push highlight size higher than 1.0. But you can try by increasing the Whitness and spec color above 1 to maybe 2.0 or 3.0 and reducing rougness until you get a crisp circle but I can't reproduce the same effect.

I love how they removed one of the most usefull features of the phongE shader. You might be able to get the same look with a ramp shader instead of a phongE.

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Dec 8, 2006 at 2:52:16 am

Before I read your reply, I went ahead and applied your shader to a brick wall, made it perfectly wet, but with wildly different settings. Rough at 0.2, highlight size at 0.1 (oddly enough), whiteness at 50% and spec colour at 100%. I kept the rest of your network intact. I think the bulk of the effect comes from the bump map. But I'll have to compare it with your settings at some point. I might be missing, or wasting, something.

In any case, a shader like that, so much with so little, is worth jotting down. I'm keeping it.

Thanks for taking the time - S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]