FORUMS: list search recent posts

transparent objects not properly shadowed with mental ray's refraction

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
audrey22
transparent objects not properly shadowed with mental ray's refraction
on Dec 5, 2006 at 3:22:58 am

I have an object with a glass-like material assigned to the geometry. I am rendering the scene with the "production" preset in the mental ray render globals. I have one spotlight casting raytraced shadows. I put a sphere in front of the light and it casts a shadow upon the object. However, the areas which contain the glass material (with refraction turned on in the material attributes) does not shadow. If I turn refraction off, it shadows. I do need refraction so turning it off is not an option. If I remove the transparency, the surface will be properly shadowed. The surface does not look real because it looks evenly illuminated. I do need to have the transparency values, as well as refraction.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

rgbazexr
Re: transparent objects not properly shadowed with mental ray's refraction
on Dec 29, 2006 at 5:21:43 pm

Did you fix the problem?

I run into the same problem.

Cranking "Max Trace Depth" worked for reflected shadows but not for refracted ones.

Will have to bake the shadows prior to refracting the material until help arrives.

apy olidays!

Return to posts index

rgbazexr
Re: transparent objects not properly shadowed with mental ray's refraction
on Dec 29, 2006 at 8:44:51 pm

to refract shadows, attach a "physical_light" to your maya light via its mental ray tab>light shader, and browsing it at CreateMentalRayNode>Lights>Physical_light .

These lights have an exponential decay; adjust "physical_light" color>value accordingly.

apy nu ear

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]