FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help duplicating and offsetting animations

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
motesobe
Help duplicating and offsetting animations
on Dec 4, 2006 at 2:05:11 pm

Hello all,
I have searched the archives with no success. I have an animation of a cube that builds itself in. I basically want to stack these cubes on top of each other so that they build themselves upwards. Is there a way I can make this cube building itself into a clip or something and just duplicate and offset the clips so that it builds itself up the way i want? I've tried making a character clip by adding each animation channel into it and then making a clip in the trax editor. When I duplicate the clip and offset it in the trax timeline...the original clip just vanishes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Help duplicating and offsetting animations
on Dec 4, 2006 at 3:30:20 pm

How many cubes are we talking about here?

If you want dozens or hundreds of them, you might be better off with a particle instancing solution, although it will depend how long the 'building itself' animation is. Check the docs on animated particle instances.

In terms of using a Trax clip, remember that duplicating a clip doesn't duplicate the object. So if you want more than one cube animated at the same time, you will need to have multiple cube-characters. You should be able to copy the clip from the original cube and paste it to the duplicates no problem. Then just slide the clips along the timeline to offset the animation.

-Steve

Return to posts index

motesobe
Re: Help duplicating and offsetting animations
on Dec 4, 2006 at 10:22:55 pm

Got it! Thanks. I duplicated the cube several times as a group with duplicate input connections, moved them up on the Y axis, then just made a clip for each one in the trax editor and offset the clips accordingly. Worked like a charm.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]