FORUMS: list search recent posts

dumb maya question....HELP

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
barry3232
dumb maya question....HELP
on Nov 23, 2006 at 6:47:16 am

hello, so I have imported a character with a rig.....but when I select the root joint or even the entire model system....and try to move it...the rig and the model always separate, I group it and it does the same thing...what am I doing wrong...how can I get the rig and model to move together....help..

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: dumb maya question....HELP
on Nov 23, 2006 at 11:53:16 pm

It sounds like you didn't Bind (SKIN) the rig to the model. Once you Skin it, they become attached and will move as one.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Nov 24, 2006 at 8:22:07 pm

I think it's actually the other way around. It sounds to me like Barry's skin is bound to the rig, but that he is selecting and moving them both at the same time. This will produce a double-transformation effect, separating the skin from the model.

Make sure that your skin is NOT part of the hierarchy you are trying to move; move the top node of the rig (not the whole character) exclusively.

If you have imported the character from elsewhere, it may be that the hierarchy is set up so that the skin is parented under the rig; you will have to change this manually. Or you might be able to just uncheck 'inherits transform' for the skin... I'm not sure if that's a standard / smart workflow or not.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Nov 27, 2006 at 5:42:58 pm

Hadn't even considered that :-). Steve, do you have any experience with Motionbuilder? If so, I'm going to have a question for you. I can't seem to get the issue resolved anywhere.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Nov 27, 2006 at 9:00:43 pm

Sorry, Glenn, I've never used MotionBuilder. You can ask anyway, if there's anything vaguely Maya-related to it, but chances seem slim that I'll have anything to suggest.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Nov 27, 2006 at 9:48:02 pm

Well, your response to the other guy's situation made me think of my issue. I have an older version of Motionbuilder that I am trying to learn. I am supposed to be able to bring in a rigged character (Characterize it) and Motionbuilder will allow me to animate the character much easier than in Maya.

I've tried rigging a character with just the joint tool and I've rigged it using the FBIK rig in the Fluids section. Nothing works right. The above response makes me think that I have a flaw in my rigging and binding. When I get the character to motionbuilder and the rig and the character are perpendicular to each other!!!! It was suggested that the binding is off.

Soooo. I need to get back to that section in my Maya books. I thought that I could just select the rig and then the character and then select Smooth Bind and that's all I needed. Isn't that it?? When I do that with the FBIK rig, it works OK in Maya but I still get nothing usable in MB. One issue with Maya and Motionbuilder is the naming convention for the joints but I appear to be beyond that. Maybe I should just stick with Maya animation. I don't know if any of that Motionbuilder stuff makes sense to you but I'm still learning the steps myself and I am following them but still cannot resolve this issue yet.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Nov 28, 2006 at 3:30:05 pm

Sorry, I don't have any experience with this situation, so I can't be of much help.

Things I would try:

1. Check to make sure that your older version of MotionBuilder is in fact compatible with your current version of Maya. Perhaps you could download a model from somewhere created in an earlier version of Maya and use that to test compatibility.

2. Create a simple test character composed of just one cylinder bound to one joint, and try importing that. Try both rigid bind and smooth bind.

3. Look into setting the world up axis in both packages... it's surprising to hear things show up perpendicular to what you'd expect; I know that Maya's default is Y-up, but it can be set to Z-up somewhere; perhaps the same is true of MB and you've got a conflict happening.

Beyond that, this is really an issue for Autodesk tech support--have you contacted them?

You might also try posting again on the COW in a different thread, since we've hijacked someone else's here and someone who knows the answer might not be reading it.

Good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Nov 28, 2006 at 6:29:11 pm

Thanks Steve. I'm researching at Autodesk and other areas as well. I'll try the cylinder test though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]