FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle/Instanced geometry

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
accpph
Particle/Instanced geometry
on Oct 26, 2006 at 1:35:47 am

I have a particle emiter emiting instanced geometry in one direction. I want the geometry to always face the direction in which the particle moves. So under Rotation options I set Aim direction to position. Then when I animate the emiter to rotate the instanced geometry behaves wonderfully.

BUT when I animate the emiter to translate the instanced geometry's orientation changes such that it now faces the direction of the emiter's translational move even though the particles shoot off at a different angle. I have tried all the settings in the Rotational options and am getting nowhere.

How can I get the instanced geometry to ignore the positional change in direction and only care about the direction in which the particles are moving?

There has to be a way...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Particle/Instanced geometry
on Oct 26, 2006 at 4:17:00 am

[accpph] "I want the geometry to always face the direction in which the particle moves."

I don't think Rotation is what you want. There is a subtle difference between Rotation values and Aim values. Try setting Aim Direction to 'velocity'. Maya will by default treat the x-axis of your instanced geometry as the 'front'. You may have to tell it otherwise.

-Steve

Return to posts index

accpph
on Feb 2, 2007 at 8:15:34 pm

Steve:

Hi you responded to my post a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back. I never got back to the project as teaching classes and other stuff got in the way...

Anyway I just wanted to tell you that I follwoed your advice (setting aim to velocity--actually I'd already done that). It didn't help. Whenever I rotated the emited the particl orientation went all wonky for a bit. THEN I tried pareninting the emiter to a controler. I set keys on the controllers and now it works fine!!

Thanks a LOT.

ACC

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 6, 2007 at 12:16:51 am

Umm, glad I could help? I think? :)

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]