FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Layout Beyond the GUI

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
accpph
Maya Layout Beyond the GUI
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:52:17 pm

I know how to save custom panel arrangements in maya.

What I want to do is open the hypershade as a free window and move it over to my second monitor so that it no longer occludes the main maya gui. Moreover I want the HS to open in that location every time I open MAYA.

Can that be done and if so how?

ACC

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: Maya Layout Beyond the GUI
on Oct 25, 2006 at 1:31:59 am

you can dock and undock panels in several ways but as to what your after, you should be able to simple open the hypershade panel and move it to your second monitor. From there it should open and stay at the last place you moved it from.

Note that in maya you can make any panel act like it's a seperate window entirely by right click on the panel window at the most top portion of the window and selecting the checkmark "Attach to Main Window." This will make it a truely seperate window. As in you need to (Windows) Alt+Tab to get to that window.

If you want the Hypershade to always open at the same location then you have to edit the mel file that makes this window. This can be a bit complicated but doable. Have to say ~ always make a backup of these files before you mess with it of course!

You can use the panel commands in mel to make a panel fixed or give it a position in pixel space to always open up at. Have to read the docs for that one :) But maybe a better Mel/Gui person can jump in here. I did a quick F1 for that specific flag/command and didn't find it but do remember seeing it for sure somewhere.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Oct 25, 2006 at 1:37:43 am

I didn't find it in the help docs because I was searching the "panel" command instead of "window" command.

Mel command window from the help docs

-topLeftCorner (-tlc) int int querycreateedit
Position of the window's top left corner.

Search Window Position in the help docs.

The above command specifies where the window will open at :)

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

accpph
on Oct 26, 2006 at 1:19:32 am

Thanks,

That got it working

AC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved