FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noob tries to get answers he don't know how to search for....please help!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cletus
Noob tries to get answers he don't know how to search for....please help!
on Oct 23, 2006 at 8:50:02 am

HI

Im a Maya Noob and jut learning the program. I bought the digital-tutors maya basics CD-Roms and they are great. So I'm already quite ok with the basics. But I have several problems and questions..I hope you can help me

1. Since yesterday I cant use my camera during smooth shaded mode. This means, everytime I want to orbit or move the camera the view changes from smooth shaded all to wireframe and when I stop moving it gets shaded again. I know, not a big deal, but I would like to orbit in the shaded mode. Where is the option for this?

2. I created a CV path and drew a smooth and wavy line. Then I made a circle and extruded the line into a tube to get a long thin cable. But since its extruded the cable doesnt look smooth anymore, it looks like it is in smooth level 2 or 1 instead of 3. I cant get it smooth anymore, whether or not I press 3. Its also not smooth when I render it

3. One of my biggest problems. When I render something, doesnt matter what, the colors arent smoothed. Everything looks like in old 16Bit. Especially when you use light against one colored planes then you can see that the gradients arent smooth. They are steppy. You dont notice it on textured objects so much. I tried every render quality on Maya Software and Mental ray engines (such as production quality). Perhaps my render options are messed up. How can I reset all the options concerning rendering in maya to default? Os is there an other solution for this?

4. When I try Hardware rendering the picture gets messed up by big black spots which look like thck scratches....I donw know why.

My System: Im learning Maya 8.0 on a Laptop (Dual Core 2x1800MHZ), 1GB RAM and a good graphic card ATI Radeon X1600 256MB which normally can handle everything (Windows XP Home).

What you should know: When I installed maya I couldn't start it because I always had a fatal error. After searching through the internet I found an article describing to turn off the SMOOTHVISION of the OpenGL Driver to 2x instead of the default setting. After this I could start maya. But perhaps these are the reasons for Problem 3. and 4.

5. I made a spaceship out of a box (by extruding a polygon cube) and now I want to texture it. So a selected it and open the UV Texture Editor. I wanted to display my ship from the top view on the texture editor so I can export the picture and make a texture in photoshop but when I choose "Subdiv Surfaces --> Texture -> Planar Mapping" after selecting the ship I get the error "Current selection doesn't match requiered selection type". What am I doing wrong??

So this were my questions. I hope you can help me.

Thank you in advance!

Cletus

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
Re: Noob tries to get answers he don't know how to search for....please help!
on Oct 23, 2006 at 12:48:26 pm

"I wanted to display my ship from the top view on the texture editor so I can export the picture and make a texture in photoshop"

I don't think you can switch views in the texture editor. There wouldn't be much point to it, I'm guessing. The UV Texture editor simply unfolds your UVs, like the wrapping paper off your birthday gift, lying flat on a table. Since it's 2D, what difference does it make what the view is? It's flat, and that's all you need.

Mapping UVs (as in "plannar", "spherical", "automatic", etc) tells Maya from which angle to "project" the the new set of UVs onto your geometry.

Go about it this way: Select your space ship in the scene view, plannar map from the "Y axis" mapping direction, and go look at the result in the UV texture editor. You'll get your new UVs mapped as if they had rained down from the sky (think of what that does to the sides of your object - not necessarily good). You'll have to mess around with these, trying various mapping direction for various faces, reorganizing everything in the texture editor. Mapping UVs is quite a process. The texture editor isn't only there to show you your UVs, it's there to let you organize them yourself. By hand.

When you have it the way you want it, go to "Polygons>UV Snapshot" from the top menues in the texture editor. Here you can save them as white lines against black, for Photoshop. Very handy.

I hope I understood your problem, however vague.

Oh, and about extruding along a curve, try adding some CVs to the curve. It might smooth out the extruded object's own curve. I've been doing a lot of power cable lately, using NURBS circles with many sections. Does "extruding along curve" even work with polygons? If so, how? That's my question.

Good luck - Serge

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Oct 23, 2006 at 1:08:23 pm

No, I just want to project it on the UV map from the top view.
Look at this picture:

http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/UVProb01.JPG

See how the Ship is viewed from the top? I want it to be projected on the UV left to it from the same view (it doensn't need to be more detailed).

I watched a tutorial where they did exactly this.
But I get the error every time I choose Subdiv Surface --> Texture --> Planar Mapping

When I click on the ship I get the simple map of the cube like you can see there...

-------

I did it exactly like you. I used a CV Curve and then used a Nurbs circle to extrude it to the tube...but still not smooth....

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Oct 23, 2006 at 1:17:38 pm

I made a screenshot of the training dvd and how I want it to be.

http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/UVProb02.JPG

But what ever I do and how ever I select the ship, I always got the error

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Oct 23, 2006 at 8:54:10 pm

I think you're looking at the wrong set of UVs. Maya appears to have kept the UVs from an old cube. You should be able to see all the UV sets in "image>UV sets" (make sure your UVs are selected, doesn't matter which, or you may not get any options in the UV set pull down menu)If you've been tinkering with this all day, I'm willing to bet you'll tons of UV sets in there. One of 'em, I'm sure, will be your spaceship UVs plannar-projected from Y.

Hope this helps - S.

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Oct 23, 2006 at 8:58:04 pm

Thank you Serge. It helped. I indeed was looking at the wrong set of UVs. Now I found them.
OK, one problem solved. Three to follow (#1 solved alone).

Can anyone give me some helpful answers for the rendering questions (#3 and #4) please?

please :(

Cletus

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:32:59 am

Hi, Cletus. Welcome to the wonderful world of troubleshooting Maya!

I will try to help out with some of your problems, but some of them leave me scratching my head.

1. It seems like you have activated 'Interactive Shading' mode, which allows you to specify a different shading mode (in this case wireframe) for use during interaction with the scene (such as tumbling the camera). In the 'Shading' menu for your camera viewport, uncheck the 'Interactive Shading' box and that should solve your problem.

2. First, are you sure you're outputting a NURBS tube, not a poly one? If so, try rebuilding your path curve so that it has more CVs. The number of CVs on the path determine the number of isoparms in the extruded surface.

3. This one has me stumped! When you save the images and open them in another application, do they still seem stepped? Could you post an example, and maybe a screenshot of your render globals?

4. This one is also confusing. Make sure that when you attempt hardware rendering, there aren't any other windows in front of your render view; they will obscure the frame and produce artifacts in the final image. Again, if you could post a screenshot it might be helpful.

I hope some of that was helpful. Good luck!

-Steve

Return to posts index

Cletus
Screenshots - does it help??
on Oct 24, 2006 at 9:36:37 am

OK, here are the Screenshots I made with a test scene. Just a nurbSphere on a polyPlane with two spot lights (Depth Map Shadows are on)

This is a screeny of the scene rendered with Maya Software Engine INSIDE Maya Render View:
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaRenInside01.JPG

This is the same render saved as a BMP and then converted to JPEG and opened outside of Maya:
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaRenOutside01.JPG

This is the same scene but with the Maya Hardware Renderer, notice the black spots:
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaHardRenInside01.JPG
This is the same just viewed outside of Maya:
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaHardRenOutside01.JPG

This are my common Render settings
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaRenDet03.JPG

This are my Maya Software Render Settings:
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaSoftRenDet01.JPG
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaSoftRenDet02.JPG

Hardware Render Settings:
http://www.bootlegversion.de/dino/MayaHardRenDet01.JPG

As far for the Software Render Engine, the render is clear when viewed outside of Maya but inside its still steppy...
Any solutions for all this?

Thank You!
Cletus

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: Screenshots - does it help??
on Oct 24, 2006 at 8:37:23 pm

At risk of repeating something someone has maybe already suggested or the poster already knows;

Your Maya Software Rendered image appearing stepped in the Render View could be that you are not viewing the rendered image at a 1 to 1. In Maya you can zoom in and out/pan rendered images and to see the image at true 1:1 ratio just click the 1:1 button in the Maya render view.

As for the other stuff, Maya takes a while to get the hang of; be patient and at some point it will make sense. You have to read a lot of the manual, etc. before becoming proficient.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Oct 24, 2006 at 9:12:26 pm

The fact that the renders appear different within Maya than outside suggests that either you are viewing them at some scaling factor, as Jason suggests, or that there is a video card issue with Maya's display of the render. Since you had to disable a feature of your card by the sound of it, that's probably the culprit.

The black spots on the sphere make me think one of two things: shadow artifacts or overlapping geometry. First make sure you don't have two spheres of exactly the same size sitting in the same place. Then make sure all shadows are turned off (depth map especially). See if the artifacts still show up. If they do, I'm not sure what's causing them!

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Oct 24, 2006 at 9:44:03 pm

Steve made me remember that I forgot to mention 1 other thing in my previous post...

The Black holes on your ball look like a paint effects brush was used at some point on that sphere. Maybe I'm wrong but sure looks like a feather paint effects brush :0

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Oct 24, 2006 at 9:48:41 pm

There arent any second spheres or paint FX. Its just like I said one sphere on a plane lightened with two lights..

I get the black artifacts always when I use the hardware render. It seems to be something with the shading because the artifacts are ON the shade (I can see this when I just render a sphere without nothing else and the artifacts are transforming 3-dimensionally with the shade of the sphere.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Oct 26, 2006 at 4:12:54 am

Do you have shadows turned on in your hardware lighting preview? Try turning them off. In any case, it seems like a card/driver issue. Have you tried alternate drivers?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Cletus
on Oct 26, 2006 at 8:42:09 am

No I just tried it with my current Omega Drivers (Cat 6.8)

What I found out is, that if I turn on high quality rendering I get the same artifacts in my view panels. But if I open the option box and turn on low quality lights the artifacts are gone until I render it with the hardware engine. So it seems it has to do s.th. with the lights.

If I turn of High Quality Lights in my Hardware Render Engine the artifacts are gone, too...

We're getting closer...

Return to posts index

robomojo
on Dec 21, 2006 at 12:40:21 am

... was a solution found?

I also have problem #4 : the garbled display on hardware render view. For me, this is a ridiculously annoying problem. I also find this to be a problem with hardware lighting.

Sounds like you've got the same laptop as me. I have an ASUS a6000 - the video card is ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 256 meg.

Nice to know it still doesn't work on the Omega drivers, however that means I've run out of drivers to try. The driver options tend to be a little limited on this card (INF errors, anybody?) - the safest driver updating scheme is to stay with your computer manufacturer (for me, ASUS).

I haven't experienced this problem in any other application on this computer. If there was a way to configure the Maya Hardware render settings further (say from direct3d to openGL or vice versa), then I reckon there'd be a solution there. I don't know how do to this - does anyone else know?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]