FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beveling NURBS edges

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael
Beveling NURBS edges
on Oct 12, 2006 at 8:25:00 am

Ok, i was able to create some shapes i needed using booleans.. It looked like the resulting shapes were uneditable as NURBS/surfaces, so I used the rebuild surfaces command to make some workable ones. however, now i would like to make beveled edges for the sharp corners of the cuts. how can i do this with NURBS.

also, i tried beveling with polygons but the 30 degree angle cut on the sphere created some issues when beveling because of the angle the faces made with the large surface face. are there any ways to fix that issue?

my final output is going to be in alias image studio, so i think NURBS would offer me the best results, but i f anyone could point me in the right direction of how to go about beveling, i would most appreciate it.

thank you,
Michael Gluzman

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Beveling NURBS edges
on Oct 15, 2006 at 1:58:59 pm

Bevelling NURBS after boolean operations will probably not work. Booleaned NURBS almost always involve trims, and trims mean that portions of the NURBS surfaces remain intact but are invisible. These invisible sections will probably ruin the calculations needed for the 'round' tool (which is what you generally would use to bevel NURBS, I think--I'm not the most experienced modeller, though). You *might* have more luck with the Fillet tools, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

With NURBS, you are almost always better off to build your object UP from complete patches, rather than trying to start with more surface than you need and carve it DOWN to the final shape.

As for polys, I'm not sure what exactly you're describing, but I know that the bevel options let you alter the roundness and number of divisions--perhaps changing those settings will help. Failing that, can you post a link to a screenshot of the results? Maybe seeing it will let us suggest something better.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]