FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I twist CV's of a "growing" extruded surface animation?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noobInRva
How can I twist CV's of a "growing" extruded surface animation?
on Oct 8, 2006 at 4:21:26 pm

Hi,

I am a bit stuck with a problem and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I am creating a "growing" extruded surface animation using the path and profile curve. I'm using the subCurve Max value of the extruded surface to animate the growth. I have both flat and tube surfaces on separate curves. I would like to add some twisting in a few spots, especially on the flat surface to give it a ribbon-like quality, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I've tried rotating the CV's of the surfaces, but it causes some unwanted shearing during the animation. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

R

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: How can I twist CV's of a "growing" extruded surface animation?
on Oct 9, 2006 at 8:12:20 pm

One way you can achieve the effect you're after would involve putting a lattice around the curve, then rotating the lattice along those stretches you want the extruded surface rotated. The lattice should be a deformer for the final, extruded geometry, of course.

To make it easier to create and position the lattice, you might look into setting up a path animation along the same path, then using the Flow Path Object setup, which can create a lattice which runs the length of a curve.

I feel like I might be missing an easier, simpler way to do it, too, so maybe someone else has some suggestions.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]