FORUMS: list search recent posts

This should be an easy one.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
swells3d
This should be an easy one.
on Oct 2, 2006 at 5:20:49 pm

I am working through a Maya intro book with the personal learning edition software. I am also working on a mac. It is asking me to use the insert key to change the pivot point of an object that is made up of three parts. Come to find out I dont have an insert key on my mac keyboard. They dont mention an alternate key for mac users. Just wondering if anyone can help me out.

Thanks
swells

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: This should be an easy one.
on Oct 3, 2006 at 2:23:10 am

i'm not a mac user so maybe I shouldn't be answering this but I've heard this asked before. I believe you need to re-assign the pivot tool to another key.

To do this you need to go into your preferences (Launching Maya...so I'm not full of it). Menu: Windows>Settings/Preferences>Hotkeys...

In this Dialog Box look for on the left side, "Tools" category and find on the right side "EnterEditMode".

When you highlight this it should show you on the far right what hotkeys in combination with command, apple etc. is used to invoke this mode.

The name of the command in Maya via mel is: ctxEditMode;

Find this command and map it to a hotkey you would like to use instead of insert key.

To see this command in action, select an object, press "w" for move and in the script editor at the bottom copy and paste ctxEditMode;
highlight this command with your object still selected and the transform gizmo showing the move tool and press enter and you'll see your object now is in edit pivot mode with which you can drag this manipulator around and snap to other geometry to change it's pivot location.

HTH

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Oct 3, 2006 at 2:02:48 pm

[Jason Brummett] "To see this command in action, select an object, press "w" for move and in the script editor at the bottom copy and paste ctxEditMode;"

A quicker way to do this is to just press and hold 'd' which activates the same mode as the 'Insert' key. The difference is the mode stays active after releasing Insert (it's a toggle; you press it again to turn the mode off) while the 'd' key only invokes it as long as it's held down.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Oct 3, 2006 at 2:05:33 pm

Yep, what Steve said! Forgot about the "d" hotkey. Thanks Steve.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]