FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem importing from Illustrator

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wagster
Problem importing from Illustrator
on Sep 29, 2006 at 5:08:10 am

I'm having problems importing Illustrator text into Maya.

You can see the curves in the outliner but when I highlight them it's like they're tiny as a point and can't be scaled up.

Here's what I'm not doing wrong: I did convert the text to outlines in Illustrator first. And I did save back to an earlier version of Illustrator to avoid compatibility problems. Even when I save as an eps I still get the same problem. Any ideas?

New York-based Editor-Compositor

Return to posts index

Levels
Re: Problem importing from Illustrator
on Sep 29, 2006 at 2:17:23 pm

It sounds like the path isn't closed. I'd give that a try.

T

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 29, 2006 at 2:20:32 pm

The issue I typically have with Illustrator objects is that they come in too large, not too small. So is it possible that you're actually just looking at the manipulator/handle for the text, while the curves themselves are actually so large they're not visible in your viewports? Try hitting 'f' to fit the selected object in your view, and see what happens.

-Steve

Return to posts index

soccer12
on Sep 30, 2006 at 8:52:36 pm

I think you have to export from illustrator as a version 8 or 9 file, or else maya won't read it correctly.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Oct 3, 2006 at 2:11:00 am

Another Gotcha there is that sometimes the AI preferences have checked on to automatically save the file with crop-marks/bleed (Can't remember what it's called ?). Make sure that the file you save doesn't have registration marks (Maybe thats what AI calls it) turned on. Maya doesn't know what to do with this. Should only be the shape paths. Any addtional widgets/objects will confuse Maya.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Wagster
on Oct 9, 2006 at 5:46:00 pm

Okay, finally solved it. I had to save back to Illustrator 5! Apparently, saving back to 8 or 9 wasn't sufficient for me, although I know it is sufficient for some other people.

New York-based Editor-Compositor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]