FORUMS: list search recent posts

patch modeling

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oeggo307
patch modeling
on Sep 20, 2006 at 11:22:09 pm

Hi there i would like some help here, i am new to patch modeling with nurbs but it is giving me a headache, once i have my model ready to beging patching the Arms and legs, even though i use the blend option on the attach command, several times and then i use global stitch on the patchs i am geting some gaps on other areas of the model due the patch, when i render it, i can se the ray of light coming thru it, is there a way to attach again all the patches without disorting the form of the model so all those gaps will be close??

Please if you can help be very especific because i am yet kind of newbie with maya (i have work with 3ds max for several years) and need direcctions. Thank you and forgive my english if there are miss spellings.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: patch modeling
on Sep 21, 2006 at 3:58:24 pm

I don't think you want to use the 'Attach' command. That command combines two NURBS patches into one. But the idea with patch modelling is that you want to keep the patches separate.

Patch modelling is often full of headaches, and has been losing popularity in recent years. Are you sure it's the method you want to use?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 21, 2006 at 4:26:25 pm

patch modeling is a process of attaching then selecting the isoparm that was the seem before the attach, and then detach there. But between steps you should rebuild your surface to CV's (Uniform) after the attach and then after the detach and delete history at both steps as well.

Because of this now patch modeler (That really knows how to use Nurbs in Maya) uses the default attach and detach in Maya. You can get extremely great results with patch modeling but to become fast and efficient you should restrcture your Nurbs tools as needed.

For instance If I'm building patches that are organic in nature (Uniform, CV's during rebuild) I have 1 attach button for this that has these commands that are not mel, but will give you the general idea as to how the tools need to be re-configured.

attach (Blend, no knots, .5 bias); (Could make another that adds knots, has 0.0 bias etc.)
Delete History;
Rebuild Surfaces (CV's, Uniform);
Delete History;

Detach is really the same

detach;
Delete History;
Rebuild Surfaces (CV's, Uniform);
Delete History;

by doing this you can attach and detach surfaces to create tangency and never build bad surfaces (Most of the time :( )
As Steve said, it has lost popularity but not among Film FX houses as when time has been put into making the tools work, and some one has experience with them, they are still a very good modeling technique.

Jason Brummett

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 21, 2006 at 4:31:14 pm

>>Because of this now patch modeler

shoudl be: Because of this, no patch modeler

Also wanted to say is it's not popular mainly because it is pretty technical and not as easy as polygon modeling, but not because it's ineffective.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

oeggo307
on Sep 21, 2006 at 8:54:40 pm

Thank you for your information, i will keep patch modeling for a while to see how do i do, and to experience a little.

By the way if i just turn off history, isn't it the same as deleting it every time a attach or detach????

Thank you for the help all of you. :)

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 21, 2006 at 9:21:29 pm

Yes, turniing off hist. all together is exactly the same. And probably a good way to go, yet after you get comfortable with nurbs/patch modeling, you might find that you'll leave hist. on all the time and delete when you want to as the history's maintaining node connections brings the real power of Maya to the forefront.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Dec 4, 2006 at 5:11:16 pm

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just found it through searching. I'm modeling a nurbs patch head in Maya. I've worked in Maya a bit, so I know my way around, but my question was to get opinions on the next step after patch modeling. The head I built was made from photo reference, and I want to also map the photos onto the head as a texture. I know how to do this with polygons and projection mapping, but would that be the best way? I love the sculpt tool that I use with nurbs patches and I just don't know of anything with polygons that would allow me to tweak the surface once I have a single polygonal model of the head. With patch models, it's also difficult to get completely smooth sculpted surfaces across multiple patches. So I guess my question is a two-parter. What's the best way to make a nurbs patch head model into a single surface model? And what is the best way to map a photo onto a nurbs patch head model? Thanks!

-Robert

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 22, 2006 at 5:08:41 pm

Thanks for the infinitely more helpful and comprehensive and accurate response, Jason.

I'm going to, uh, go wipe some of this egg off my face, now...

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 22, 2006 at 9:09:56 pm

He he.

No need to wipe egg off your face. If I could program half as good as you!

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 23, 2006 at 7:20:55 pm

[Jason Brummett] "If I could program half as good as you!"

...you'd be justified in responding to posts about programming. But wisely, you keep your mouth shut on the subject--I wish I'd done the same about patch modelling! ;)

The strength of the COW of course is that we have so many contributors with different areas of expertise--I'm always glad when someone picks up the slack, so thanks!

-Steve

Return to posts index

R303LX
on Sep 25, 2006 at 8:33:00 pm

It sounds like you mix up terms, but if you endeed did make a patch model the right way and you still get gaps, then you might have a look at the tessellation of your patches.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]