FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mapping Files to Objects

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Side FX
Mapping Files to Objects
on Sep 20, 2006 at 8:41:07 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to map and place my PS images over poly objects without the images distorting over the models
(where I stretched the poly, for example).
I can rotate the UV cordinates, but I can't seem to scale or move the artwork otherwise.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Mapping Files to Objects
on Sep 21, 2006 at 3:55:56 pm

UV mapping for poly objects is a major part of 3D modelling and texturing. There's no one-button solution. Your approach will depend on the topology of your object, the type of texture or textures you're using, the animation required of the object, etc. etc.

The Maya docs have lots of info on poly UV mapping techniques (start by learning about the UV Texture Editor panel), and there are a ton of tutorials and plugins available. Start digging around and you'll probably find plenty of stuff to help you.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Side FX
on Sep 22, 2006 at 9:07:05 pm

Yeah, I'm finding that out. However, I know within the Hypershade editor, there's a map diagram that appears and manipulates the image file and NOT the texture map.
Problem is, I can't remember or seem to rediscover where that control is. I'm just trying to put artwork on a guitar. I can get it there, but the artwork stretches and distorts
where I stretched the neck, for example. I was thinking this tool would help me conform the art to the shape. Or maybe there's a way to 'normalize' the model so that
Maya doesn't see it as a stretched poly but a regular object?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 23, 2006 at 7:17:58 pm

I think what you probably want to do is use a texture projection insted of regular UV mapping. Texture projections do not rely on UV information, so they shouldn't stretch where your geometry is stretched. Of course, they come with their own set of problems, but if you're trying to apply a decal to a flat surface, it's definitely the way to go.

Good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Side FX
on Sep 23, 2006 at 9:00:12 pm

Thanx.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]