FORUMS: list search recent posts

About to purchase 3D software, need advice

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cornelius Matteo
About to purchase 3D software, need advice
on Sep 13, 2006 at 6:38:58 pm

Hello All,

I am looking for a 3D program/software that will allow me to do basics of perspective fairly easy. for instance, for 2 or 3 point perspective, lie down grids and than elipses so I can create 3 drawings and product designs. Eventually I will migrate to more sophisticated 3D drawing.

Is Maya the right package for this or is there another package to serve these needs at a good price point?

Thanks,
Cornelius

Return to posts index

Jon W.
Re: About to purchase 3D software, need advice
on Sep 13, 2006 at 7:23:46 pm

http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html
It's open source and free, don't know how complex it is to learn.

Maya is a very deep program if you're looking to 'grow into it'. Other options are Autocad for architecture and AliasStudio for product conceptual design. It just depends on your needs.

Return to posts index

Cornelius Matteo
on Sep 13, 2006 at 7:34:13 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

teerav
on Sep 15, 2006 at 1:39:53 pm

have you looked at pricing? for something fairly basic, maya is probably not your best idea. like the above post says, try blender. i've used it occasionally and it seems to work great. theres some tutorials online somewhere that will help you learn it in no time. otherwise maybe lightwave

Return to posts index

Brian Dugan
on Sep 17, 2006 at 1:29:15 am

Maya can be really great to work with but is very complicated. I'd go with something else.
I've been working with it for years (on and off) and still pull my hair out.
I hear Studio Max is much more user friendly.

Return to posts index

dizzyj
on Oct 11, 2006 at 3:39:59 pm

I've been using Maya for about 6 months (with 20-40 hours a week put in) and still find there is a huge amount to learn. However, with that steep learning curve comes a lot of power. Depending on how you learn and explore, my feeling is that with a program like Maya, it takes you a longer time to get to where you can output things you want, but in the process, you learn more powerful techniques and end up being a stronger user. Whereas a program with an easier, more push-button interface is better for people who need to get results quickly and don't have the inclination to learn all the nitty-gritty.

I played with several programs before settling on Maya and liked the ease of use of Cinema4D a lot. It's not too expensive to buy the base package, either, and can expand to meet your needs as you grow in skill. It, like most of the major packages (Maya, Max, XSI, C4D, Lightwave, Houdini and Blender), is very powerful if you learn how to use it well. I liked XSI a lot, too, but I'm a Mac user and it's PC only. I found Blender's interface to be baffling and the documentation scarce (Maya and Max really excell with the availability of training materials). But it's hard to beat the price.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]