FORUMS: list search recent posts

File res: Multiples of 64

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
File res: Multiples of 64
on Sep 13, 2006 at 12:43:21 pm

Hello,

I read somewhere that Maya prefers files with resolutions in mutiples of 64. Pull down options in "uv snapshot", for example, certainly suggest as much. How true is this in, say, Maya 7. Do other file resolutions take longer to render?

I'm mostly just curious, since I've never had any problems with this.

Thanks - Serge.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: File res: Multiples of 64
on Sep 13, 2006 at 2:52:56 pm

I believe that it has to do with memory usage, and it's not multiples of 64 so much as it is powers of 2.

If I recall correctly, Maya stores all images in memory space large enough to fit the next larger square power-of-two image. So an image that is, say, 33 x 40 pixels will be stored in memory space which could fit a 64 x 64 image. A texture of 10 x 200 will be stored in memory space which can fit a texture of 256 x 256.

So it's about efficiency. Using square images with power-of-two resolutions will mean Maya uses the memory 100% efficiently. Any deviation from this results in wasted memory. Depending on how much memory is available and how complex your scene, I suppose this might increase render times.

Someone please correct me if I'm off the mark here...

-Steve

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Sep 13, 2006 at 4:33:39 pm

Thanks for that. Makes sense. Well explained too. Regards - Serge.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 15, 2006 at 5:08:18 pm

I don't remeber whom but it was an alias engineer posted a response to this on the Alias Maya List Server and what I came to understand is that your not limited to square resolution files either (It's pushed that way as the UV texture editor prefers this in a GUI sense) but you can also have a 128x1024 texture file and Maya will use this memory footprint without waiste. so it will look independlty at both the U and V texture size coords before allocating e.g.

a 115x996 texture should use a 128x1024 texutre footprint. But also the way Maya is, it for some reason might not catch this and go square to 1024x1024 at times so it's best to make all textures 256x256 or 128x1024 or exact powers of 2 to force Maya to cough "to see this".

sorry if this is a wierd answer but it's always a wierd answer when you ask this of Alias Engineers :)

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 15, 2006 at 9:25:20 pm

Great, Jason, thanks for filling in the gaps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Sep 15, 2006 at 10:27:44 pm

glad to help!

I was in wonder of this myself for years! lol.

Have a good wknd. cows, Moooooo!

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]