FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layered Shader Problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
Layered Shader Problem
on Sep 12, 2006 at 4:03:03 pm

Hi all,

The idea seems simple enough. A window with small paint splashes. I've been fiddling with layered shaders for hours and it's not happening. Here's what I'm trying:

Top layer: A color map for the paint spots, tied to a lambert. The color file has it's own photoshop transparency where the see-through part of the glass should be.

Bottom layer: A simple blinn with attributes set for a nice glass.

On their own (un-layered) both materials work fine and as expected. But layered, they don't. I can't seem to make the top lambert color map opaque (these paint spots should NOT be tranpsparent).

I doubt this is clear. But if anyone has tried something similar, please let me know how it was done.

Many thanks - Serge

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Layered Shader Problem
on Sep 13, 2006 at 3:02:44 am

It sounds like the transparency of the top layer is the issue, right? Are you sure you've got the .outTransparency of the paint image connected to the correct .inputs[#].transparency of the layered shader?

My instinct would be to work with simpler formats (i.e. not PSD) to get to the bottom of this. Use a simple colour image for the paint spots, and a greyscale image for its transparency (remember, white is transparent, black is opaque, and grey is semi-transparent).

I dunno, hope that helps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
Re: Layered Shader Problem
on Sep 13, 2006 at 12:35:45 pm

Since the paint spots are also blinn, a simple grayscale map in the transparency channel seems to have done the trick. The window looks right. No layers needed. Thanks for calling my attention to it. (Any normal person would have tried this first).

Of course, I'll eventually have to revisit my layered shading problem. I can never seem to get those working properly.

Many thanks - Serge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]