FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting maya 7 into after effects 6.5

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
movingpixel
exporting maya 7 into after effects 6.5
on Sep 8, 2006 at 2:00:36 am

heya
i was hoping someone could help in regards to exporting maya files into after effect

including camera moves and depth info etc, and if you have any tips, i could follow... while i would say i am comfortable in after effects i haven't composited 3D elements into after effects before...

any help would be greatly appreaciated

churrrrrrrrrrr
nate

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: exporting maya 7 into after effects 6.5
on Sep 11, 2006 at 8:44:30 pm

I haven't done it a bunch but have on and off for various MtnGFX projects in the past.

In 7 it's a bit easier. There's a tutorial on this site somewhere about doing this. I haven't looked at it though so I don't know anything about it.

What I do: after scene is ready for export to AE...

1. Point contrain a locator to moving objects and the camera (Try a 1 node camera first for practice)

2. Then bake the keys for these locators and bake the keys for the camera. Only need TRS ~ trans, rot, scale.

3. Export the locators for cameras and objects that were previous baked, out into a new scene file.

4. Open this file, clean it up of unneccessary nodes and save the file as an ASCII *.ma file from Maya.

5. Import in AE and select your Maya ma file and you should be good to go.

99% of the time I use an psuedo HD frame of 1280x720 and this coincidentally requires little DOF and lens adjustment.

If your lense is telephoto, wide etc. you need to do some further online searching to learn how to sync up your Maya cam lense and AE's but often times but importing your Maya.ma file (Not MB), AE will adjust it's camera lens to be close but sometimes it's not and that frankly is close to unsolvable (At least by me).

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

movingpixel
Re: exporting maya 7 into after effects 6.5
on Sep 12, 2006 at 1:19:25 am

thanks Jason
currently I am gathering as much info as possible as i start a compositing project in a couple of weeks time....i will definately let you know how i got on though...

i think i'll try an get hold of some maya files and test it out early....thanks once again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]