FORUMS: list search recent posts

is there a way of merging the CVs of a nurbs surface..???

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
theodora
is there a way of merging the CVs of a nurbs surface..???
on Sep 3, 2006 at 4:37:04 pm

hello..
well, this is my question..is there a way of merging the CVs of two different nurbs surfaces..??? like the merge vertices command that exists for polygons..??

thanx in advance,
theodora

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: is there a way of merging the CVs of a nurbs surface..???
on Sep 4, 2006 at 11:02:03 pm

You can attach surfaces, effectively making one whole surface out of two initially separate ones. In performing this action you can choose to have Maya delete the overlapping knots along the edge.

Also, note that the resulting surface will have a number of isoparms along the attached edge equal to that of the more complex of the two original surfaces.

More generally, theodora, your flurry of recent NURBS-related questions makes me worried that you have bitten off a little more than you're ready to chew with NURBS. NURBS are really better suited to industrial design than to organic modelling or animation, and they are not strightforward and intuitive the way that polys are.

In my experience, the way to work with NURBS is to start by studying and understanding their underlying mechanism--they are very mathematical. Everyone I've seen (including myself!) who has just 'jumped right in' and started trying to create a complex model with NURBS without really and truly understanding how they work has ended up frustrated and disappointed.

I may be off the mark here, but it's just my two cents.

Good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
Re: is there a way of merging the CVs of a nurbs surface..???
on Sep 5, 2006 at 9:17:48 pm

2nd Steve on that one lol. Took me a long time to get a handle on nurbs. I do use them quite often or better stated as a starting point for all my geom regardless if it's organic or not.

Thought I'd add that you don't "merge" cv's persay but Rebuilding is doing exactly this! and you can delete them but you better know when and how that will affect your geom. afterwards (Deleting I mean).

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]