FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deforming a film strip

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
HaryBull
Deforming a film strip
on Aug 30, 2006 at 12:57:45 pm

Dear all,

I have had this problem for a while now, trying to twist a film strip built from 2 trimmed surfaces and extrusions for the holes. I created a lattice and twisted the lattice points, which in turn deforms the geometry of the :strip: incorrectly. The :sides: of the holes bend more and just the whole things is a mess more or less. Any clues as to what to do about it?

420 724 330 424

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Deforming a film strip
on Aug 30, 2006 at 2:46:56 pm

Avoid using trimmed NURBS for geometry which you're going to deform!

You can sometimes get away with it if you're using a single surface, or if you really really know what you're doing. But in most cases deforming a trim will produce unwanted results.

A trimmed surface is a kind of graphical hack or cheat; all the untrimmed geometry still exists, it just doesn't show up visually. That means all the untrimmed CVs are still out there somewhere in space and will respond to the deformer you apply, dragging the visible sections of the surface along with them and pulling your object apart.

Trims are intended to be used by industrial designers, not animators.

Sorry!

-Steve

Return to posts index

HaryBull
on Aug 30, 2006 at 3:09:41 pm

Hmmm, looks like I need to change careers, get into industrial design and trim the f

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 30, 2006 at 9:33:08 pm

[HaryBull] "I will try lofting and booleans then"

Noooooooooooo... 'boolean' is just a fancy name for more trims, unfortunately. :)

I suggest polys. The only other reasonable option is to create your filmstrip out of a series of plain ol' square NURBS patches (with precisely-matched isoparms). If you're not well practiced with NURBS, it will be a big headache, I'm afraid. Possible, but probably not practical.

Unless someone else can think of something?

Do you really need thickness for the filmstrip? Couldn't you just get away with a single ribbon and 'cut' the holes with a transparency map, or something?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Aug 31, 2006 at 3:34:57 am

If you can get away with what steve suggested, use my tutorial on the cow :)
http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=61&page=http...

Return to posts index

HaryBull
on Aug 31, 2006 at 4:40:14 pm

Steve, thanks for the NURBS and booleans and trims update ;)
What I did in the end was:
1. created my NURBS geo from AI curves
2. NURBS to polys, then deform through my lattice and motion path
3. texturing
4. rendering

and it works beautifully! Another point was deleting history at the right time of deforming, but all vertices behave 100% predictably and as wanted :)))))) and so do the textures!

Thank you Sir :)

420 724 330 424

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]