FORUMS: list search recent posts

biological animation

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
quinniusmaximus
biological animation
on Aug 25, 2006 at 8:19:19 pm

Here's my challenge...
I need to take a single cell and exponentiall duplicate it over time ( 1 cell turns into 2 cells, 2 cells turn into 4 cells, 4 cells turn into 8 cells and so on)
Once I figure out how to do the exponential growth, I need to introduce mutations (which could most likely be a repeat of the first animation with a color difference)
One thing I'm trying to avoid is just "popping" on new cells, I would like to duplicate them out of existing cells.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: biological animation
on Aug 26, 2006 at 12:46:51 am

How much detail do you need?

In terms of creating exponentially more cells, you could use particle collision events to handle that, maybe? If at every collision a particle splits into two, you've got your growth. If you want a detailed animation of the cells dividing, that's trickier, of course... you might be able to work something out with animated instancing, but I don't know.

How many cells do you want to show at a maximum? If it's a large number, then I'd guess you're going to be looking at a multi-stage approach, with one method for the first pair of cells and a completely different method to show the growth later on at a lower magnification...

-Steve

Return to posts index

quinniusmaximus
on Aug 26, 2006 at 8:58:34 pm

One of the tricky parts is that the view stays at a consistent magnifications. And we have to show one cell becoming two and then do that on an exponential scale. Although we don't have to show it on screen, we have to allude to the creation of 65000 bacteria.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Aug 29, 2006 at 12:06:49 am

I imagine what your saying to be very complicated. I imagine a squishy cell that stretches and squashes then pops into 2 cells and so on and so forth in 3d space. This is fairly complicated.

If they don't squash and stretch you could write a fairly simple sphrand based script that randomizes there placement and toggles there visibility for instance in a radial fashion via time or something similar? Then after this works then add a global deformer like wave etc. to the whole group?

Also you could probably setup a simple particle omni emission that would could look similar to the exponential cellular division and use 1 cell as your instance for the particle?

Curious to see what you come up with.

Good luck,

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]