FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poly modelling question.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Sayer
Poly modelling question.
on Aug 23, 2006 at 4:37:51 pm

Here's one for you poly gurus...

Is it possible to remove holes from a poly? I have cut some windows into the side of a building, but now I want to remove some--not all--of them. Can't see an easy way to do it, but maybe I'm missing something obvious...

-Steve

Return to posts index

jim
Re: Poly modelling question.
by
on Aug 25, 2006 at 3:27:23 pm

there is fill hole but this will fill all of them. if the shapes arn't to complex you can use apend poly or iimple extrude a few edges and merge the vertices?

sorry if this is no help

Jim

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 25, 2006 at 7:43:35 pm

Thanks Jim.

You're on the right track; what was confusing me was how I could not just fill a hole but eliminate it completely. For example, imagine a poly cube with a square hole cut into one of its faces. Fill Hole will indeed fill that hole, leaving the cube appearing unbroken in renders. But there's still an extra poly there--a seventh face, set into one of the 'regular' faces. I'm obsessive compulsive and hate having leftover geometry floating around like that! You can't delete the verts or the edges, and you can't Split Poly up to the hole to turn it into a 'real' face for other editing tricks... surprisingly difficult to deal with this simple situation!

My solution in the end was to use the Poly Cleanup tool with the 'faces with holes' option to tesselate the poly, leaving no holes. Then it's possible to just manually delete the edges of the hole (and the extra edges created by the Cleanup tool) to get a clean version of the poly in the end.

But--there's gotta be a better way, right?!

Thanks again,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Aug 28, 2006 at 11:49:21 pm

Hi Steve,

It's a funky Maya thing but there are 2 commands for just what your talking about; Edit Polygons> Delete Edge and Edit Polygons>Delete Vertex.

These are different in function than simply hitting the delete key with a vert/edge selected as they change the entire polygon construction. If you were to select the 4 verts that make up your hole, then use the delete vertex command you should end up with one clean face on that side.

Also wanted to point out that fill hole works really good but sometimes you run into the problem you mention, heres how to get around this; you can tell maya to only fill open faces that you want thereby eliminating possible faces being filled over existing faces by selecting an open edge on the hole you want filled then using "fill hole" tool.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Aug 29, 2006 at 3:26:35 am

I tested what I wrote and have to add. Maya doesn't like deleting a vertice or edge on an edge border, so If you first select the edge border, then fill hole tool, then select the vertices of the new face made by fill hole tool, it will delete all of it cleanly as I think your trying to do.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

jim
by
on Aug 29, 2006 at 8:51:37 am

maya seems to make a meal of some things that should be intuitive. the more I learn the more I love it, but at the same time I become increasingly frustrated.

don't even get me started on texturing!

I think the entire next update should be devoted to implementing the I want a label here button or the unwrap my uv map so it makes sense straight away button.

Jim

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Aug 29, 2006 at 12:59:36 pm

He he. I felt that way for say 2 solid years of Maya use and one day that 'almost' all disappeared. I was a veteran MAX user so the switch to Maya was a major pain! Yet now I know why it is the way it is and appreciate it the way it is. Stick with it. UV tools in say Maya 4 were a bit annoying but I think from 5 up are really very good! 7 is great IMO.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 29, 2006 at 1:32:42 pm

Awesome, I will test your workflow, Jason, thanks.

You're right, I was simply hitting the 'delete' key. Who knew there were vanilla and chocolate versions of 'delete'?! Thanks again!

-Steve

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 29, 2006 at 1:51:41 pm

Update:

Works like a charm! Thanks so much, Jason--this will speed my workflow.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Aug 29, 2006 at 2:43:59 pm

Glad I could help :)

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]