<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mr_Ego
Mac OSX cmd line render problem
on Aug 20, 2006 at 11:33:35 am

I've opened terminal, changed directory to my scenes file and entered:
"Render -h" OR "Render -r sw -n 0 -s 39 -e 85 -cam cam_40A roadsCliff_05.mb"

and i get:
-bash: Render: command not found

im running Maya 7 on OSX (10.4). ive used the cmd line before and its worked, but maybe not since i installed version7. I can see the Render cmd is inside my maya/bin. could there be a problem where my system doesnt know to look in maya/bin for the Render cmd? i dont know anything about setting paths and think this might be the prob? ive opened maya.env too and its blank. so is it something to do with system path, maya path, maya env ???

any help would be great
thanks

.dream .create .believe
http://www.egotripp.com

Return to posts index

Mr_Ego
Re: Mac OSX cmd line render problem - PLEASE HELP!!
on Aug 25, 2006 at 3:52:33 pm

Is there really no one that can help me here? I cannot render using the cmd line and cannot bare the long render times from within maya. Please help!

Cheers

.dream .create .believe

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Mac OSX cmd line render problem - PLEASE HELP!!
on Aug 25, 2006 at 7:47:03 pm

Sorry, I'm not a Mac guy at all, but your previous guesses about file path sound like they're right on the money.

On a PC, you can force the file path by adding it in front of the command name, so instead of just "render blah blah" you'd enter "C:/Alias/bin/render blah blah". The other thing that could be done is to make sure you're actually IN that folder when you type 'render.' I don't know what the Mac version of either of those workflows is, sorry!

-Steve

Return to posts index

Mr_Ego
Re: Mac OSX cmd line render problem - SUCCESS!
on Aug 31, 2006 at 7:42:08 am

I've found a quirky solution, thanks to Apple Qmaster - a small app that comes with either Shake or Final Cut. Accidentally stumbled across some info on the web. You can use it to set up batch renders for shake, maya and after effects. Or at the least you can get it to generate the syntax for the terminal. If you open Apple Qmaster and choose maya from the command drop down list, then the plus icon... a new window opens. The first three options allow you to point to your Maya Render cmd, your project and your scene file.

Qmaster had already filled out the Render cmd with:
/Applications/Alias/maya7.0/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render

then you can set frames (s & e), steps, etc. At the bottom is a Command window that prints the total command - i copied and pasted this into terminal and it works! yipee!! nice simple GUI to know what syntax and path were needed to get cmd rendering working. nice and simple for a unix noobie.

ive worked out "-n 0" renders with all processers for maya software - but i get an error if i try using that command for mental ray. i use "-r mr" to render with mental ray - is there other flags to tell mental ray to use all available processors or does it automatically know to do so?

Thanks all.

.dream .create .believe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]