FORUMS: list search recent posts

attach the verteces of two objects without moving one to the other/is there something like stretching surfaces??

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
theodora
attach the verteces of two objects without moving one to the other/is there something like stretching surfaces??
on Aug 1, 2006 at 6:52:39 pm

I have an object which is imported from rhino as a mesh and it appears in maya as a polySurfaceShape.I have 20 of these guys in different positions in space and what I want to do is attach on face of one object to a face of a second one, but without the Snap2Pointto2Points command because this command moves the first object as a whole, close to the second object.So, what I need is something like the stretch command that exists in other programmes..Do you have any idea how I can achieve this??Is there any script that can do this???
please help!!I am an architecture student and it is urgent that I find a solution!!
thanks...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: attach the verteces of two objects without moving one to the other/is there something like stretching surfaces??
on Aug 3, 2006 at 5:02:55 pm

You just want to snap points to other points? Can you not just use the Move tool, activate point snapping, and do it that way? Or are there too many points for it to be done manually?

If you like, you can use this little script to snap the first of two selected points to the second:

string $selected[] = `ls -sl`;
string $first = $selected[0];
string $second = $selected[1];
vector $newPosition = `pointPosition $second`;
eval ("move -a " + $newPosition + " " + $first);

Make it into a shelf button or a hotkey or something and it should speed things up a little.

-Steve

Return to posts index

theodora
Re: attach the verteces of two objects without moving one to the other/is there something like stretching surfaces??
on Aug 3, 2006 at 5:20:53 pm

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the script..I just saw your message and I will try it :)
The thing is that I have an array of 100 identical polygons with 138 verteces each. And I want to aggregate them to form one object. To be honest, what I want to do is create a script that selects the verteces of one face of each polygon and moves/attaches them to the face of the other and so on but keeping the original position of the polygons...So I can't do it mannually because of the number of the polygons(100).
I really appreciate your help and if anything else that could help me comes to your mind it is more than welcomed!!
dora

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 3, 2006 at 8:24:40 pm

What kind of objects are we talking about? Could you post a screenshot?

Keep in mind that you can Combine separate polygon shells into a single object, allowing you to use such tools as Merge Edges, Merge Verticies, Add Poly and Fill Hole on them. Perhaps that would make your task easier.

-Steve

Return to posts index

theodora
on Aug 3, 2006 at 9:15:31 pm

I am really sorry..it is the first time I am using this forum..I don't know how I can post a screenshot here..If you tell me how I will definately post..
thanx for your help!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 3, 2006 at 11:28:33 pm

Unfortunately, the COW forums don't accept image attachments themselves. What you would have to do is upload the image to your own webspace (or a public host) and then post a link to it here.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]