FORUMS: list search recent posts

alpha and bump map placement

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom custer
alpha and bump map placement
on Jul 26, 2006 at 11:00:21 pm

I'm trying to find a way to visually place these types of maps. I'm transfering from Max and it would show a black & white visual if the diffuse map is turned off. This seems simple but I've look in all the dialog boxes that seem obvious.

I know you can shift the placement and see an automatic update in IPR but this seems like it's better suited to minor tweeking. Kind of teadious to get the basic position.

Thanks in advance

Tom Custer
Multimedia
Bally Gaming

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
Re: alpha and bump map placement
on Jul 26, 2006 at 11:23:20 pm

I think you're asking how to view assigned textures other than the diffuse color in the hardware viewport view, correct? If so, there's a pulldown at the bottom of each material's attributes that lets you choose which texture to display through hardware texturing, and at what quality. That should get you closet to what you're trying to do. For placement, you'll ultimately probably want to use the UV Texture Editor (under the Window menu), but you could use a projection or something along those lines too...

Hope that helps,

Ben

Return to posts index

tom custer
on Jul 27, 2006 at 6:12:04 pm

Got it ! I'm placing really simple textures right now so the first method works. Though I do need to get into the texture editor more.

Thanks for your help !

Tom Custer
Multimedia
Bally Gaming

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 29, 2006 at 2:14:43 pm

Here's a handy tip on the subject: Maya's default texture resolution, as we all know, is abysmally low (32 x 32 pixels anyone?). And even the 'Highest resolution' seems low to me at 256 x 256. But you can manually override this attribute and set it to an arbitrary figure for really high-res texturing--useful for initial placement and for eliminating banding artifacts on repeating textures.

Each texture node (fractal, file, ramp, etc.) has a 'Resolution' attribute. The trick is these are hidden by default--they don't show up in the Attribute Editor until you have toggled the resolution drop-down menu in the Material node. (I think they're always visible in the Attribute Spreadsheet, though.)

So, let's say you want to view a Ramp texture at a resolution of 1024 x 1024 in your hardware view. Apply the ramp to your material, open the material node in the Attribute Editor, and select the appropriate 'Textured channel' setting. Then, using the 'Texture resolution' dropdown, toggle the resolution to something other than default. Now select your Ramp node, and open the 'Extra Attributes' section at the very bottom of the Attribute Editor. Voila! The 'Resolution' attribute is displayed. Type in '1024' and enjoy.

If you want to display combined textures at a high resolution, the appropriate attribute appears in the 'Extra Attributes' section of the Material node itself. Handy!

Hope someone finds that useful!

-Steve

Return to posts index

tom custer
on Jul 31, 2006 at 11:18:43 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Tom Custer
Multimedia
Bally Gaming

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>