FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some poly faces aren't rendering

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deadpixel
Some poly faces aren't rendering
on Jul 14, 2006 at 2:26:59 am

Hi everyone, I don't know what's causing this one so I thought I'd just put up a screenshot and see what the COW thinks.

When I put my camera too close to the ground plane, some of the faces don't render.

http://multimediadept.com/~johnsonj/groundwontrender.jpg

http://multimediadept.com/~johnsonj/wtf.jpg

I thought it mightve had something to do with the camera scale, but no good. I also tried replacein the poly ground plane with a nurbs plane. Same probs. ANY ideas would be much appreciated. THANKS EVERYONE!
-J

Return to posts index

jim
Re: Some poly faces aren't rendering
by
on Jul 14, 2006 at 9:11:25 am

is half the lens in the floor?

or are you doing a boolean on any part of the floor as this has given me the same problem in the past?

Return to posts index

Deadpixel
on Jul 14, 2006 at 4:11:44 pm

i thought possibly half the camera was through the floor but now I know that's not what's happening.... no I've never had this prob before

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Jul 14, 2006 at 11:26:55 am

Your clipping planes are adjusted properly? Hard to tell whats being "clipped" or not from those stills.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Deadpixel
on Jul 14, 2006 at 4:20:30 pm

How should they be set? I did try adjusting the near clipping on the camera. .001 is as low as the near clip plane value goes, and that was the setting used for this render:

http://multimediadept.com/~johnsonj/another.jpg

Note that the non-rendering piece is actually a single face on the poly ground-plane. It happens to whichever face(s) happen to be closest to the camera. Some renders do work, however, and they tend to be the ones shot from higher up.

I'll keep at it, and I'll post again if I figure it out. THX anyhow -josh

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Jul 14, 2006 at 5:34:47 pm

Well, as everyone knows Maya can be finicky about clipping planes. I don't think it's a clipping plane issue now. perhaps a light linkage, shader issue, perhaps theres a bad shader description on that piece of geometry? As for clipping planes, most people tighten the closest clipping plane as you did but ignore the far clipping plane. Maya likes to work in clipping planes proportionetly (SP) Hung Over : Make sure you don't have your far clipping plane way out there as well, and turn off auto adjust clip plane at that point.

If it's not the clipping plane, you maybe should export the geometry into a new scene file perhaps 1 by 1 etc. including lights if need be and camera anmtn etc. This usually rids Maya of wierd DAG glitches that may exist in a scene file thats been edited for a long time.

Good luck. Let us know what it was when you figure it out :)

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

deadpixel
on Jul 22, 2006 at 5:25:56 pm

Well I got the problem to go away, but I still don't quite understand what did it. The ground geometry, light linking, textures, etc. were all fresh (actually I had just gotten done doing exactly what you suggetsed: exporting objects one by one and importing them into a fresh scene). I tried deleting the ground (which was made of a huge polygon plane with 9 faces) and replacing it with a single nurbs plane. What bugs me is that didn't work the last time i tried it, but this time it did. Problem solved I guess! Thanks for your help :) -j

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]