FORUMS: list search recent posts

is maya a good start for a 3d newbie?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow_fan
is maya a good start for a 3d newbie?
on Jun 29, 2006 at 12:07:16 am

I would like to learn 3d. As of now I don't have any experience with any 3d software. All I ever do is Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Photoshop CS. Do you think Maya is a good place to start? All people I've asked tell me that it's a complicated software.

What I wanted to do is to create an animation and export it to my NLE. Using photoshop, I can export everthing, including the transparent layer which is a neat thing. Can I do the same with maya so that when I export it to Premiere Pro and put it on top of a clip, the clip will show thru the sides (of the Maya-generated cartoon character or logo) to become the background?

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: is maya a good start for a 3d newbie?
on Jun 29, 2006 at 2:55:57 pm

Maya is a very deep and complicated program, but only because you can achieve almost any effect or animation you can dream of with it. It is easy enough to learn, in my opinion, but I think most people who have never used 3d would be pretty itimidated by it without initial guidance. I don't know if they still have the Personal Learning Edition, but you can always download that and try it for free. You may take to it very quickly. Programs that would be a little easier to use would be something like Maxon Cinema 4d (from what i heard). It seems to be pretty popular with motion graphics folks with more simple 3d needs, who don't want the overhead of a powerhouse animation package.
Chad

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jun 29, 2006 at 3:58:16 pm

That's what I hear too. Cinema 4D has good integration with after effects, which is another plus for it.

I learned 3D on Maya so it can be complicated at times, but so is any 3D package. From my perspective it seemed a waste of time to learn a "lite" 3D package and then have to learn another one later. Learning a more advanced program would probably be easier if you already had the basics though so it's a toss up. :-)

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States

Return to posts index

cow_fan
on Jun 29, 2006 at 11:03:35 pm

Thanks. Now on the hardware part. I do my work on Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator and photoshop on a single PC. Do you think my computer will crash if I load maya into it? Can I run Maya while After Effects is running? Below is my system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Hyperthreading
1G Kingston DDR Ram
128 MB NVDIA PC Express Video Card
200Gigabytes Seagate SATA Drive
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

cow
Sean Emer
on Jun 30, 2006 at 1:54:35 am

you should be fine. If you are really worried though, maya's website has info on system requirements. http://www.alias.com

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on Jul 4, 2006 at 3:55:50 pm

Yeah, I run all of those apps with no problem. Of course, adobe's apps are a bit bloated these days so your maya experience may suffer if you have any or all of those apps open at the same time - true with any app and adobe stuff, I guess.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how:
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

VelocityX, Version 1.0.01
Kansas City, Kansas - United States

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]