FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mouth animation on real baby... like baby Bob on Quizno's commercials... Help?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
garyh357
Mouth animation on real baby... like baby Bob on Quizno's commercials... Help?
on Jun 5, 2006 at 4:29:53 am

I have a customer who is asking what it takes to do the real baby talking like the baby named Bob on the old Quizno's commercials. I only know enough to know I don't want to do it, but I have to do them a favor and ask the pros anyway.

So, what does it take? What special efforts need to be taken when shooting the practical photography part? How expensive can it get for about 30 seconds to 1 minute with various lens lengths?

Keep in mind, I only need to inform and educate them. I don't need to know every single detail. When it comes down to it, I'll shoot it, but I'll hire someone else to track and animate the mouth.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Gary

PS. I am cross posting in other 3D forums.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Mouth animation on real baby... like baby Bob on Quizno's commercials... Help?
on Jun 5, 2006 at 2:30:02 pm

It's been awhile since i've seen these commercials but I'm not sure it was all 3d (if any at all). Maybe the shot the lips of another actor and composited his lips on top of the baby? That seems like the likely approach.
-Chad

Return to posts index

Ben Insler
Re: Mouth animation on real baby... like baby Bob on Quizno's commercials... Help?
on Jun 5, 2006 at 4:36:28 pm

I do remember the lips on the baby looking pretty baby-like. But, I'm with Chad, that sounds like the best approach to me. Find the right actors and so that the composite looks seamless. Although, you'd have a lot of tracking, motion matching, and distortion work to do to get the lips to realistically appear like they're attched to the baby's head as he not only tilts, but turns his head.

To get an idea of how hard this would be in 3D, you might want to research the movies Babe or Racing Stripes, in which they seamlessly made live action animals talk.

Best,

Ben

Return to posts index

garyh357
on Jun 5, 2006 at 4:51:07 pm

Ahh, the ole Conan approch. I didn't think about that. I'm very familiar with all the live mixed with 3d from Babe, Racing Stripes, Yo Quiero Taco Bell, and more. That's why I jumped to thinking about doing it with 3d. Now that you mention it, I do think Bob was probably shot and composited.

I'll post this question in AE, Combustion, and Shake too, but I'd still like to know, what would it take to do it in 3d like Babe? Personally, I really never like the Quizno's commercials. Conan worked because it was so poorly done. Again, I don't want to do the work. I just want to understand it all so I know how to bid accordingly. I'll do the video shoot, then, I'll hire one of you to do the animating.

Thanks again,
Gary

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jun 5, 2006 at 6:02:57 pm

there is no real secret to these 3d mouth replacments. A lot of it is just pain in the arse matching the movement of the 3d mouth to the real one. If you want a good book for this, check out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0782144039/sr=8-1/qid=1149530463/ref=pd_bb...

Matchmoving: The Invisible Art of Camera Tracking (Paperback)

good book, has a section on exactly what your looking for (but don't expect any major shortcuts, it's just hard work any way you slice it)

-chad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]