FORUMS: list search recent posts

animation position locked (newbie question, apoligies in advance)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Hamilton
animation position locked (newbie question, apoligies in advance)
on Jun 1, 2006 at 8:59:19 pm

Hi there,

I recently bought a copy of Maya 7 to try and would like to put an animation project together, but am running into an annoying issue where I can't change the location of animated objects. In the scene I'm working on, I have animated some planets going around a sun and would like to move them up above a pedestal, but after moving them they revert back to their original location whenever I play the animation. The only thing I can think of is that the channel attributes in the top right is highlighted in orange and I can't seem to unhighlight it (possible a caps lock issue or something?).

here is a link which hopefully might help demostrate the issue, sorry for the poor quality
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3606976553650538258

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: animation position locked (newbie question, apoligies in advance)
on Jun 2, 2006 at 1:59:56 am

try this, select all the items you've animated and want to move, group them (ctrl-g). The select the group and move the group.
-chad

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 2, 2006 at 4:52:42 am

Hi William.

It looks to me as thought you have keyframed all the transformation attributes (position xyz, rotation xyz, and scale xyz) of your planets while you were creating the animation of them rotating. That's what the orange highlighting means: "these channels are controlled by keyframes".

Since one of the attributes that has been keyed is the "height" (the "translateY" attribute), Maya thinks you explicitly want the planets to be positioned at y=0. You can't change this just by moving the objects; you have to actually tell Maya not to use those keyframes anymore.

The simplest thing to do is to right-click the translateY channel and select 'break connection'. This should delete the keys on that channel (leaving others intact). Once this is done, you can move the objects to any height and they won't snap back when you play the animation.

Hope I've explained that clearly. Good luck with your Maya endeavours!

-Steve

Return to posts index

William Hamilton
on Jun 4, 2006 at 8:50:22 pm

Great! that did the trick. Thanks a ton

-William

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]