FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya for Motion graphics, tips and tricks type book

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jporter313
Maya for Motion graphics, tips and tricks type book
on May 31, 2006 at 8:17:30 pm

Does anyone know of a good tips and tricks type book for using Maya in a Motion Graphics environment.

I'm a pretty advanced Maya user, but most of my background with 3D is doing character and realistic stuff, I'd love to learn some pro tips and tricks for using it as a motion design tool.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
Re: Maya for Motion graphics, tips and tricks type book
on Jun 2, 2006 at 3:02:53 am

I use Maya for motion graphics and although I haven't seen any specific tutorials or books that focus on it, learning more about Paint Effects, Graph Editor, Toon shaders, Illustrator curves to Maya 3D text, etc seems to help. I get rather jeolous when Cinema 4D releases a module called "Mograph" designed specifically for motion graphic artists. Hopefully like how Sketch and Toon came out first for C4D then Maya released Toon in the v7 update, Autodesk will follow suit and release a related module.

Return to posts index

jporter313
on Jun 2, 2006 at 9:25:02 pm

Thanks for the tips. I wish soeone would pull together a reference for this sort of stuff, I have a lot of trouble with getting colors to render correctly and such in Maya and I'd love to hear some tips.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on Jun 3, 2006 at 5:16:27 am

what do you mean you have trouble getting colors to render correctly? as in it looks different in AE or PS than in the render view in Maya?

Return to posts index

jporter313
on Jun 5, 2006 at 4:37:11 pm

Well, I do a lot of bringing image files that I created in Photoshop into Maya as textures and then applying them to flat planes. I feel like I end up fighting Maya's lighting engine to do this. The technique I usually use is to apply the texture to both the color and ambient-color inputs in a lambert shader. You would think this would completely negate the effect of any lights in the scene on the shader and give it a flat graphic appearance exactly like the file, but the colors are always off. Is there a better technique for this?

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jun 5, 2006 at 5:59:39 pm

If you want the texture to ignore mayas lighting and use the full shading on the texture, you have to take a couple of things into consideration.
1.) use light linking to make sure no lights are effecting the texture/object your applying the logo to
2.) in the file settings for the texture, make sure no filtering is being used (quadrtatic, mip map, etc). Turn it off and let the 3d aliasing do it's thing, no need to make it any softer than it is.
3.) crank the amibient color up to pure white. Don't use a texture map for it, only texture should be on the diffuse/color.

hope that helps. the real trick to to play with the sampling/aliasing to avoid the 3d render making the logo/graphic too soft.
-chad

Return to posts index

jporter313
on Jun 5, 2006 at 7:40:37 pm

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions and see if it helps. Any other general Motion Graphics tips for Maya?

Return to posts index

jporter313
on Jun 5, 2006 at 8:04:03 pm

Ok, so making the ambient color white blows everything out, did I misunderstand?

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jun 5, 2006 at 8:42:27 pm

It should only blow everything out if you have lights working on the object. YOu need to unlink the lights from the object so they no longer affect it. The only illumintation should be coming from the ambient channel.
-chad

Return to posts index

jporter313
on Jun 5, 2006 at 8:47:21 pm

Yep, you're right, I had to turn off the default light. That's really not the way I thought it worked, guess I learned something new.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on Jun 6, 2006 at 2:02:24 am

If you don't want lights to affect your PS texture just use a Surface Shader and map the color to the PS file. It won't interact w/ any lights then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]