FORUMS: list search recent posts

textured butterflies converge to form image

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blase Theodore
textured butterflies converge to form image
on May 29, 2006 at 7:30:28 pm

I'd like some help approaching this shot..

Thousands of different colored butterflies converge to form a picture.

My plan was to create an animation of particles that converge into a rectangular spot, then replace the particles with butterfly animated geometry (via the instancer).

Does anyone know how I can handle the texturing for this kind of shot?

Very very gratefully,
Blase

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: textured butterflies converge to form image
on May 29, 2006 at 9:36:33 pm

your on the right track. I did something similar to this a while ago. get your particles arranged like you want them and then do a planar projection on the particles, with the image you want to make. Then you'll need to do a simple blend/fade of some kind in a compositing package, but there you go.
-chad

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on May 30, 2006 at 6:16:10 am

Can you be more specific about the planar projection? Its going to be the difference between success and failure for me, so I definitely appreciate all the clarity I can get.

Thanks again,
Blase

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on May 30, 2006 at 1:18:29 pm

Best explanation is goint to be looking it up in the help files for tech details, but in a nutshell, planar projection is essentially taking a flat texture and "projecting" on a surface (think of the effect you get with a flashlight shining it on a wall, only with parelell rays instead of rays that shoot out). This technique is used in photogametry (sp?) alot to take photographs and map them out to primitive shapes to make something look photoreal without a lot of modeling work. When you do the planar projection, it gives you a planar gizmo/controller in the viewport that you can use to define the angle of your projection. ( in your case, you'll want it at the same angle as your camera)
chda

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]