FORUMS: list search recent posts

need help with animated ribon .

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alek panfilov
need help with animated ribon .
on May 27, 2006 at 2:50:34 pm

Hi all ,
i've created an animated ribon folowing one of the Cow's tutorials, it is animating etc , but i can't keep ribon surface in my rail-curves while it's twisting in 3d space, it's ok while rail-curves are not too complicated, but in this case, there are few turns in 3dspace so birailsurface is going mad.

here's my project file,
http://www.dzeday.pl/maya/ribon.mb

if someone could help me , i'll be very gratefull :)

Alek.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: need help with animated ribon .
on May 27, 2006 at 4:39:20 pm

At first glance, it looks like it's because the edges of your profile curves aren't lining up with the bi-rails. You need to make sure the edges are always touching. Try experiementing at first with a curve that is completely linear and flat, no deformation in the profile curve.
-chad

Return to posts index

alek panfilov
on May 27, 2006 at 5:25:51 pm

well Chad, with flat ribbon everything works fine, but it's not enough ;)
i was making it with yours tutorial, step by step, and i think i didn't screwup anything :D so after being succesfull with flat ribbon i thought the same method could work for something more complicated.

Alek.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on May 27, 2006 at 4:41:47 pm

since your curves look very similar in size (it looks they dont grow over time) i would take a different approach than the birail method. Make a single curve that will define your ribbon movement, create a polycube w/ the proper size/length/look you want for the ribbon, make sure it has enough subdivisions in its width/height/depth for smooth bends, select both curve/cube, in Animation Menu/Animate/Motion Paths/Create Motion Path Options/Reset, With cube still selected Animate/Motion Paths/Flow Path Object Options/Reset, then in 'ffd1LatticeShape' node crank up the 'S Divisions' as well as the T and U to taste. Now when u scrub timeline the cube will follow the curve.

Few warnings, I've found if you ever change the size/look of the cube after doing the motion path maya freaks out and it doesn't work so you have to go through the entire motion path sequence again. Anyone know of a fix for that?

Also sometimes you have to play w/ the Options for the Motion Path for it to look right depending on your object (like if you rotate your object while modeling it.)

Return to posts index

alek panfilov
on May 27, 2006 at 5:29:51 pm

hm , the ribbon grows a little over it's path , but it only a decorative function so i can thru it out ;) .
so i gona try your method now =]

Return to posts index

alek panfilov
on May 27, 2006 at 5:57:13 pm

hm , i think i'm missing something,
i've made ( i thnk ) everything like you have wrighten, but the result is emmm kind'a strange,

http://www.dzeday.pl/maya/ribbon2.mb

i have a flow of the cube over curve and cube is also animating over it but i can't get it stretch over curve. :|

i'm a bit newbee to maya but as i can guess it's a matter of "holding" the beginning of the cube while the rest of it gona animate over curve, or something like that :)

Alek.

Return to posts index

alek panfilov
it's working.
on May 27, 2006 at 6:12:38 pm

yup yup yup. :)
my fault,
i forgot to make more subdvs of the cube :)

thank you Jon for help :)

Return to posts index

alek panfilov
still need a little help with a ribbon.
on May 27, 2006 at 6:35:44 pm

Jon there is one more thing i want to ask you about that ribbon ,
everything is ok except the part of the "tail" that is outside curve, i'm thinking about making the begining of the curve longer so the ribbon that is outside of the render field gona lie on curve but it's not the best solution couse sometimes "crazy tail" is passing thru render field :/
what i try to point is the part of the cube that is not yet on curve and is dancing over whole space. i don't know how to explain it,
so if you have a little of time to lookup in project i'll be gratefull :)

http://www.dzeday.pl/maya/ribbon03.mb

Alek.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
Re: still need a little help with a ribbon.
on May 28, 2006 at 5:16:04 pm

I won't be at a computer that has Maya till Tuesday, I'll try check it out then.

Return to posts index

Jon W.
on May 30, 2006 at 3:11:34 pm

Hmm i've never seen that tail problem before, not sure why it's doing it. It's possible your CV's are flipping in direction too quickly, I would try a less complicated curve and see if you still get that problem.

Return to posts index

richard
on Jul 15, 2006 at 3:03:23 am

I'm a bit of a bush doctor when it comes to Maya (I'm definitely not an expert). However borrowing a little from this tutorial and applying my own techniques I manage to do this much much easier and it looks better too. Email if your're interested

Richard

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jul 15, 2006 at 4:20:06 am

Richard-
If you could post a link to that, i'd love to see it. I've only used the flow path trick a few times, and each time it has been a pain in the arse. Anybody who can make it easier, i'm all ears.
Chad

Return to posts index

richard
on Jul 15, 2006 at 6:07:53 am

See if you can download the project file here. It is a Maya 5.0 file. As I said it is unorthodox but there's method in the madness.

http://209.245.59.243/Gimme/15463721/638754420/104681153/39D24D7E-273C-43FA...

Check it out!!
It might be a pyle, but hey it worked for me and was alot easier!

Richard

Return to posts index

Jimmy Van Houdt
on Jul 28, 2006 at 9:50:11 pm

Hey Richard,

Your link is not working anymore. I'm very interested in seeing your approach to this as well. Can you please repost your file or email me?

Thanks man!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]