FORUMS: list search recent posts

Painting weights - no update

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
HaryBull
Painting weights - no update
on May 24, 2006 at 9:44:05 am

Hi everyone, I am painting weights and everything works except the perspective view does not update my strokes... Here's an example: I am adding white to geometry, but it does not change color in the persp view. What I do is Undo and Redo, then I can see my progress. This slows me down very much. Is there a preference that I have to adjust? I am running a G4 with 1.5 Ghz PowerPC chip, 1.25 GB DDR SDRAM, my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 64 MB VRAM. Is my system too slow?

Thanks!

420 724 330 424

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Painting weights - no update
on May 24, 2006 at 3:02:44 pm

There is an attribute in the File Textures section called 'Update on Stroke'. You might try turning that on, although it removes your ability to Undo your work (since it re-saves the file texture with each stroke).

I don't think it's a computer speed issue, but it is probably a graphics card issue. The GeForce series is not really qualified to run Maya. Artisan tools are notoriously buggy on them.

-Steve

Return to posts index

HaryBull
on May 24, 2006 at 4:48:04 pm

Thanks Steve, I think I will leave the update on stroke attribute alone, I use the undo function obsessively :)
Guess it's time to buy a new machine, ha? What graphics card do you recommend on a G5?

Thanks

420 724 330 424

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on May 24, 2006 at 5:01:53 pm

I'm not a Mac guy, but the final word always comes from the qualified hardware charts:

alias.com/glb/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/index.jsp

Be warned: the qualified cards tend to come with hefty price tags.

-Steve

Return to posts index

HaryBull
on May 25, 2006 at 11:13:03 am

Cool, thanks for the link. it must be my card in addition to dual monitors and a Wacom tablet... Things are running fine most of the time, I run into occasional glitches in Maya, but the workflow is not interrupted. Undo/Redo on every 3rd stroke updates my progress with weights... Until I buy a new G5 :)

As for the price tags

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on May 25, 2006 at 2:47:10 pm

[HaryBull] "
As for the price tags

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]