Best computer setup for Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
happymachine
Best computer setup for Maya
on May 16, 2006 at 8:52:04 pm

Hello all!

I know this is a common question, but given the rapid pace of developement, I imagine the answer changes a few times a year. I am thinking of defecting from Apple in hopes of more bang for my processing buck. Mac unfortunately is taking too long to create a mactel workstation, so I am trying to decide on a PC with AMD or Intel. My question is which is fastest in the long run? Also, can the quad Mac even compete with either of these?

Does anybody have any info on this subject, or can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Tony Aramburu
HappyMachine
tony@happy-machine.com

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Best computer setup for Maya
on May 16, 2006 at 9:36:42 pm

A multiple core AMD will be the best bang for your buck. Worst case, get a single dual core Athlon x2, those can be built pretty cheaply.
-chad

Return to posts index

mYthprod
on May 16, 2006 at 10:37:46 pm

I'm with chad on this one. Get a nice PC with either intel or amd and by the time it's outdated mac will probably have what you want. :-) I personally work on a dualie amd 2400+ (bought a couple years ago) and render on a series of dual intel xeons networked together (that are also editing suites so sometimes I can't use them).

Intel is a bit more compatible overall as even the folks with proprietary hardware are compatible whereas AMD is a bit cheaper and performs just as well to my knowledge. If you're just using maya I wouldn't sweat any incompatibilities as they're usually with companies with very specific requirements. For example, I use Harris Velocity Quattrus hardware to edit on and they don't run well at all under the AMD chipset. But that's just because their software is tied to hardware specifically made for intel procs - just about any software-only app like maya or after effects will not have compatibility issues between amd and intel. Like Chad said if it's just a maya machine I would lean amd as you do seem to get more bang for the buck. Their fans can't be any louder than xeons, good god. :-P

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own Velocity Q or HD. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on May 17, 2006 at 4:56:32 am

You should balance raw cpu horsepower with making sure you have a good video card; maybe video card first then cpu HP second. You probably know this but thought I'd throw it out there if you've only worked with Macs.

http://www.alias.com/eng/support/maya/qualified_hardware/QUAL/maya_70_win.h...

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

happymachine
on May 17, 2006 at 2:39:58 pm

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys. I think I am going to go with dual dual core AMDs. And the Quadro 1500. Boxx has a pretty good deal on these.

Tony Aramburu
Happy Machine

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]