FORUMS: list search recent posts

Urgent Help Needed with PFX

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Holy_holy_cow
Urgent Help Needed with PFX
on Apr 23, 2006 at 1:09:22 pm

Folks, I've made PFX for a character using this tutorial
http://www.persistentvisions.com/IndexFramesetJam.htm?Tutorials_Main/hair/h...

Now I need to animate the character but can't parent the PFX to the main body so whilst I can move the body I can't move the hair. Any help will be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Urgent Help Needed with PFX
on Apr 23, 2006 at 3:41:56 pm

you'll need to parent the pfx control curve to the bone inside the head. This will move the head as a whole, but if you want the hair to have dynamics, it's going to get a lot trickier (and more time consuming.)
If you want dynamics, you'll have to make the curves softbodies, and parent the end of the folicles to the bone instead of the whole curve. This will most likely involve parenting the CV's to a cluster, and parenting/constraining that to the head bone.
And then you could use get maya unlimited and use the hair functions in that :)
-chad

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Holy_holy_cow
on Apr 23, 2006 at 3:56:09 pm

Thanks Chad

So the hair can't be parented to a polygon surface or a locator but instead to a skeletong or IK chain, right? I don't care much about hair animation but I want the hair to move along with the body.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Apr 23, 2006 at 9:59:49 pm

You can parent the CV to whatever you want (through the connection editor), doesn't have to be a skeleton. If you look up the rivet plugin (i think thats the name of it) on Highend3d, you'll get the idea. (although rivet might only work with constraining objects to surfaces, not CV's to surfaces, I can't remember.)

Return to posts index

Holy_holy_cow
on Apr 23, 2006 at 10:23:02 pm

Thanks again, Chad.

The CV's can get parented and they move along with the head nicely, however, the brush strokes don't so while the character moves with the CV curves, the strokes stay behind!

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Apr 23, 2006 at 11:28:23 pm

Are you parenting the stroke to the head or the actual control curve?

Return to posts index

Holy_holy_cow
on Apr 24, 2006 at 3:34:57 am

I'm parenting both to the head. I've tried parenting the stroke to the head but the same thing happens. Same when I parent the control curves alone. Any idea?

Return to posts index

Holy_holy_cow
on Apr 24, 2006 at 10:09:35 am

Sorry to bother! I've been told that this problem should be solved if I set a constraint and I'm at loss here. Do you know anything about that?
Terribly sorry to bother with so many questions again.

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Apr 28, 2006 at 1:12:38 am

you need to look in the help docs under constraint.

Constraints are more robust in a lot of ways than parenting as they use nodes to transfer transform information from 1 (or More) object to other objects. A parent constraint works just like a manual parent but allows the user freedom to turn it on and off at will.

Select your head bone or what ever you wish the CV's to follow, then select a CV and go to Animation>Constraints> parentConstraint with default settings (Actually you should make sure that preserve distances are checked on (might be worded a bit differently).

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]