FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rounded Table problems

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jameson Schultz
Rounded Table problems
on Mar 29, 2006 at 2:32:55 pm

Hello all,

I have been trying to model a rounded table top and am having a tough time getting it. Basically I am creating a rectangle with rounded corners. The length, width and height edges are straight.

First I created an outline of the top of the table using CVs and made a curve. Then closed the curve. Next, I created a NURBS cube, then projecting a CV curve onto the top of the cube. When I tried to Trim the cube I could not select anything. Tried the same thing with a NURBS Cylindar with top and bottom caps. When using Trim tool I could not select any surfaces.

Then took that CV curve again and created a NURBS plane and projected that curve onto the plane. Sometimes when I use the Trim tool the selectable areas are way off from what I want, other times it looks right and I haven

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Rounded Table problems
on Mar 29, 2006 at 6:39:18 pm

As far as it sometimes not looking right, are you using an orthographic view or persp to project? If you use persp cam to project you'll get unpredictable results. Also there's an option in project through current camera and this may be set wrong.

I don't know if I'd take your approach but then I'm not the best modeler. For a table top I would probably take that CV curve, duplicate and scale it a little, translate down and loft between the two CV curves. Then maybe planar the top. You could also draw a curve and revolve it but it sounds like your table is mostly square.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Steve Sayer
on Mar 29, 2006 at 8:29:02 pm

Never use the Trim tool if you're not clear on what you're doing. In general, NURBS cause problems if you don't understand them extremely well. You may find that SubDs or polygons will give you good results with a fraction of the headache.

My guess is that the holes and gaps you see after trimming are due to low preview tesselation. For each shape node, turn on 'display render tesselation' to see how Maya will actually treat the surfaces at rendertime.

In any case... my workflow for this would simply be to create the curve, extrude it, then Planar the top and bottom isoparms of that extruded surface. Then make sure the render tesselation settings produce good results.

-Steve

Return to posts index

cowcow
Jameson Schultz
on Mar 29, 2006 at 8:56:33 pm

The extrude/planar combination worked with a little tweaking. Thanks!

Jameson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]