FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing AutoCad ascii into Maya?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
Emmelai
Importing AutoCad ascii into Maya?
on Mar 17, 2006 at 4:42:38 pm

Anyone familiar with doing this? I work for a golf course design company and we have been experimenting with importing autocad ascii files into Maya (with the help of a script). The problem is that the orthographic views are switched around. I've tried changing the up axis from y to z and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Emily
Graphic Artist
Maya, Shake, Motion User

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Importing AutoCad ascii into Maya?
on Mar 17, 2006 at 7:05:21 pm

Could you just select everything, group it, rotate it by 90 degrees, and then ungroup it?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Mar 18, 2006 at 8:23:39 am

To the best of my knowledge and I haven't used AutoCAD in a few years now, AutoCAD doesn't write out an ascii file ever? Do you mean a DXF or DWF or DWG or what? a native saved as AutoCAD 2002 and earlier DWG file will import straight into Maya without need for anything other than having the FBX plugin loaded.

Jason Brummett

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Emmelai
on Mar 20, 2006 at 5:20:42 pm

Hi Jason,

Well, what we have actually done is taken the points from a dwg/dxf and converted them into tabular data ourselves....then saved it as a text file. We have a script that allows us import the text file directly into Maya.

You think the grouping and rotating would work?

Emily
Graphic Artist
Maya, Shake, Motion User

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Mar 20, 2006 at 5:31:14 pm

if your using Land Desktop or similar package as well and creating an ascii file thats represts a "point cloud" of the golf course terrain, I believe you'll need a customer importer to Maya. What I've done in the past when using a TIN (Triangulated Irregular Netowrk), basically a polygon mesh is to create this in Land Desktop or AutoCAD and export the mesh directly into maya via dwg.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]