<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
R303
RigidBody Question (BlastCode)
by
on Feb 28, 2006 at 2:31:43 pm

Hi There,

I have a Rigid Solver question.

I need to change the Solver for a rigidBody and I need
to do this via the hypergraph, hypershade or the scripteditor/command line.
Or any otherway witch dosen't include deleting the rigidbody node.

I need to do it this way because I'm using a plugIn called BlastCode and it
creates the rigidbodys for me (IT HAS TO TO KEEP TRACK OF THEM) and places them
under the same solver.

I can't just delete the rigidBody node and recreate it selecting a different solver,
because BlastCode keeps putting them back under the same solver as before.

Therefore I'm thinking of letting Blastcode put all rigid bodys under whatever solver it likes and
afterwards change the solver for the specific rigid body.

Is there a way to very simple tell maya wich solver to use for a specific rigid body
without deleting the rigidbody node?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: RigidBody Question (BlastCode)
on Mar 1, 2006 at 4:41:45 am

Daniel, I've just taken a preliminary look at it, and it doesn't look straightforward.

Of course, my usual caveat applies: I'm on an older version of Maya, so things may be different on your version.

The way I see it, there's no easy way to attach a rigid body to a different solver AFTER the initial creation. The connections from the solver go through a series of intermediate nodes (one per translation and rotation channel), and the solvers do NOT like being disconnected from those by any method I've tried.

Would it be possible for you to change which rigidSolver node is 'current' while BlastCode is doing its thing, or is it working automatically without any chance for you to change things around?

Of course, if all else fails, you could save your scene as ASCII and go in and edit the connections manually there. :

-Steve

Return to posts index

R303
by
on Mar 1, 2006 at 8:21:56 am

Thanks steve,

I had ofcourse tried changing the "current solver" to a different one but blastcode still put the rigidBody under the first one.

I'll try the ascii aproach and see what it does for me.

Daniel

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 1, 2006 at 4:03:12 pm

[R303] "I had ofcourse tried changing the "current solver" to a different one but blastcode still put the rigidBody under the first one."

Hmm, there's a chance that what's happening is that BlastCode has the default name of the solver built into it... so it always makes connections to 'rigidSolver'. In which case, you might be able to trick it by renaming your solver nodes as you go along, so the current solver always has the default name.

That is... you rename the default solver (which you DON'T want the BlastCode objects under) to 'rigidSolver1', then create a new solver (which you DO want the BlastCode objects under) and rename it to 'rigidSolver'. If BlastCode is just referring to that default solver name, that might do the trick.

Pain in the neck, I know... but it would still be easier than the ASCII edit. (I'm still hoping there's a 'real' solution in your version of Maya--assuming you're using a more recent one than me.)

-Steve

Return to posts index

R303
by
on Mar 1, 2006 at 4:07:47 pm

Thank you again. I'll try it this evening.
I'll get back with how it went.

Return to posts index

R303
by
on Mar 2, 2006 at 10:57:25 am

I now know blastcode itself isn't capabel of administrating the rigid bodys it creates under different solvers. This is a fact.

Tricking it is not an option.

I looked at the ASCII file, and it scared me! I read it with notepad and it was very disorganised and difficult to overview.

I just have to workaround it by assigning different collision layers instead.

thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]